Although I would never recommend a portable generator indoors, a
correctly installed outside vented exhaust would greatly reduce the
possibility of not waking up the next morning. It's best to put it in
the garage and leave the garage door open, or build a shed for it
outdoors. We have a portable backup gen in the garage and pipe the
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org
Indeed! There are two related issues here.
a) the ability of one gas to "mix" (term used a bit
loosely) with others. At one extreme, for example,
if you pour cooking oil into water there's very
little mixing, and you've got a rpetty clear
line between the two.
(Yes, there _is_ some oil mixed in with the
water lower down, but it's a pretty small percentage).
b) the density of one gas compared to the others.
The lighter ones tend to want to go upwards, but
if the difference is small, they'll stay together.
1) Molecular density of air:
Nitrogen (N2) is (14*2) = 28
Oxygen (O2) is (16*2) - 32
(note that they're pretty close, so there's
no "huge" differential pulling them apart).
WAG, since O2 is 19% of air (call it 20)
and N2 is 80%, and ignoring the small noise
28 * 80 = 2,240
32 * 20 = 640
or... molecular weight of air is about 29.
So... let's see what CO is like.
Carbon = 12, Oxygen = 16, therefor CO = 28
That's pretty close to ambient air, so it hangs around.
Now in regards to the other stuff, and why
propane is a _serious_ fire hazard indoors,
and methane (natural gas) is much safer:
Propane = C3H8, so (12*3) + (1*8) = 44. That's
much, much, heavier than room air, so propane
sinks and stayd in the house/basement.
Natural gas = methane = C1H4, so (12*1) + (1*4) = 16.
That's a lot _lighter_ than air so it quickly
rises and dissipates.
Now neither claim is perfect, of course, Some propane
does mix and go up and out, while some methane
mixes and stays around, but the percentages are
Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key
Okay, ready for one more bit?
CO2 *is* heavier than air. With a molecular weight of 44, it sinks to the
floor pretty much. Although not as toxic as CO, it will displace air and
sufficate. Perhaps you just mixed (pun) the two gasses up?
What does CO have to do with it?
Both are products of combustion of any fuel that has carbon in it (such as
fossil fuel running in a generator). Either one, if allowed to accumulate
in a closed space (such as a basement) can be deadly.
You are going to do it anyhow, and you want someone to tell you that it is
okay. That way it isn't your fault.
Its a stupid thing to do and you know it. Sure, the odds are you will get
away with it, but in view of the potential downside....
Sure no problem and when the gas gets low be sure an use a match to
check the level in the tank. I've seen the results of what you are
asking about destroy a home not to mention the effects it had on the
family involved. They survived but never recovered.
Its a good sized basement, but look at it this way...
How much is your life worth??? You want to run
exaust fumes through some tubing out of the house?
Bad idea. What happens if snow plugs up your home made
tube. In no time you can get carbon monoxide poisoning
down there and we'll read about you in the paper.
Have fun storing GAS in the basement too. That's one
the insurance company would love. Gas vapors and
a furnace or boiler...
Seriously if you have to run this pump on a regular basis
either get a batter backup or make some sort of semi
perminant enclosure for this generator OUTSIDE.
Its not even remotely a good idea to risk your life
for something so trivial.
Yes you can.
No you should not.
If this is only to run a well pump during short power outages you could
look at a 12 v battery (car or boat) and an inverter. Much safer.
It may be feasible for you to use one of the windows as a hatch to
access the generator in a nice housing outside.
Ok all, OP back again. I thank you all for convincing me that my
original idea was indeed rather stupid. I was not trolling. I am not
even sure what that means. I apologize if I lashed out at some of you.
What I'll do is get another generator, one that's 240V, and when the
time comes I'll just have to carry/wheel it outside over to the
basement window and run a cable through the window. It may never
happen, or not so much to be a big pain - better than not having water
Thanks for the ideas and comments.
It doesn't matter how big your basement is. One gallon of gasoline
vaporised is roughly equivalent to 10 sticks of dynamite. Enough to
open all of the windows in your house with tremendous heat.
Or, your family could come trudging through the snow to see your
headstone and wish you had just put a water storage tank in the
basement. OR, if you need running water, put a tank in the attic and
let gravity do it's thing.
Tom in KY, Just Say No.
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:15:24 -0800, squarei4dtoolguy wrote:
Only if perfectly mixed with air. I have an "infinite" supply of gas in
my basement too, perfectly mixed with air will make the gasoline look
petty. Many have 275 gallons of fuel oil in their basements as well as 40
gallons of gaoline sitting in their driveway too. There are very good
reasons not to do this, but an explosion is way down the list.
While you're not likely to see your basement gallon of gasoline completely
vaporized, there is a substantial difference between the behaviour/safety
of various fuels.
The vapor pressure of an open can of gasoline is perfectly capable of
producing an explosive mixture in an unvented/enclosed space all by
itself. Fuel oil won't. Nor will gasoline sitting in a car on a driveway.
A natural gas supply in a basement, of course _can_ produce an explosive
mixture in an enclosed space. As can propane. But it's rather better
secured than a random can of gasoline.
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It\'s not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.
Not only that just a couple minutes of operation really stinks up the
basement filling it with exhause fumes. Unless you have a good exhaust fan
it will stay there. Try running it in a closed garage for just a short
time. Does it really need to be in the basement? Build a little enclosure
close to the house.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.