Can you help fix an "open neutral"

First I installed a Fan in my living/dining room, then I installed a chandelier from another ceiling outlet... all good and every thing works just fine. However, some time later I discovered that my power drill would not work on the balcony GFCI outlet. The tester indicates "Open neutral." One circuit breaker controls all three plus a balcony light. Everything on this circuit works except the GFCI outlet, which is the furthest of all from the breaker box. The GFCI tests ok. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
G'day mates

Turn off the power to that circuit and replace the GFCI. If it works, problem solved, if it doesn't, you have a spare. It just sounds like a bad GFCI or either a disconnected neutral wire to it.

Reply to
J.C.

Revisit the two boxes you worked in. Make sure that the white neutral wires are securely connected. You may need a wire nut one size larger if you added a wire to the connection.

Simply put you have a loose connection at one of the two boxes.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I thought the same thing. However, the GFI could be bad too. Aside from buying and replacing the GFI. simply pop it out of the box and put a meter across the feed wires. If you got 110 to 120V, the GFI is bad. If not, you got a fault elsewhere. (If you dont have a meter, just disconnect the GFI and temporarily put a standard 50 cent outlet on those wires and plug in your drill. If drill works, replace GFI. If not, you got wiring problems elsewhere.

Reply to
maradcliff

It was the GFCI socket ... thanks for everyone who replied. Problem fixed. Thanks guys.

Reply to
G'day mates