door bell transformer

There is a transformer in the garage that is for the door bell. It is always hot. This seems wasteful of electricity, since the door bell only is used about once a day.

Can the transformer be replaced with some kind of state of the art upgrade that is more efficient?

Reply to
Dick M.

Art Todesco

Two ways you can go:

  1. Throw away the transformer, pigtail stranded wire onto the 120 volt AC leads (white and black) and hook up only one strand of each directly to the doorbell wires. If the wire has ten strands, one strand will be 12 volts (120 divided by ten), just what your doorbell needs.

  1. (What I did) Put a switch in the AC circuit before the transformer and keep it switched off. When someone comes to the door have them knock on the door real loud, then you can go into the garage, switch on the transformer, and they can ring the doorbell.

Hope this helps.

- Brightboy

Reply to
oxo34452

You can replace the whole doorbell system with solid state. Otherwise, the existing doorbell chimes need 60Hz to operate, so you are stuck with an iron transformer.

Reply to
Gary Tait

anytime you have a transformer with power too it all the time it will be hot and using electricity..that is the way has always been.. what about your computer(mine uses a transformer for the scanner, the volume from the computer and a few other things.. most of the time i have them unplugged as this items are rarely used..... kinda hard to disconnect the door bell transformer until you expect someone to use the door bell....

Reply to
jim

An astounding new law of physics has just been discovered. Now we can get rid of those ugly pots hanging on the power poles that supply our houses. Amazing... LOL

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

You said if you use 1 strand of 10 strand on 120 volt you get 12 volt . Im no electrician but that sounds very wrong to me ,

Reply to
mark Ransley

Maybe folks shouldn't say stuff like this, even as a joke. Wouldn't you feel bad if a reader thought you were serious and electrocuted somebody this way?

transformer,

Reply to
donald girod

So I guess there is no solid state device to replace the transformer which is approved for home use?

Reply to
Dick M.

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:54:14 -0400 "donald girod" posted:

During assembly possibly, and if not

Especially on a rainy day when someone uses his wet hand on the doorbell button while standing on the wet stoop.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

To directly replace the transformer, no.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Well Dick you've got a lot of answers many of which are silly because your concern is misplaced. Your transformer should not be hot, mine runs maybe 10-15 degrees above ambient room temperature. If your is truly hot (can't hold your finger on it) then you should likely replace it with a new transformer. Transformers inherently use little electricity when not in use because the primary allows very little electricity to flow when the secondary is not connected. It probably uses less than 5 watts, that's probably less then 30 cents a month.

But if it worries you, change to a radio controlled battery operated unit. Then you get to buy batteries, which probably costs at least 4x what you present system does.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Hi meirman, hope you are having a nice day

On 04-Jul-03 At About 11:05:28, meirman wrote to All Subject: Re: door bell transformer

m> From: meirman

m> In alt.home.repair on Fri, 4 Jul 2003 06:22:18 -0700 "Dick M." > There is a transformer in the garage that is for the door bell. It is m> > always hot. This seems wasteful of electricity, since the door bell m> > only is used about once a day. > >Can the transformer be m> replaced with some kind of state >of the art upgrade that is more I m> efficient?

m> > rarely use my AC and turn it off, but I think there is a 12 vo m> volt? probably not 6 volt) transformer in the furnace which might m> be on all the time. Someone who's handy could run a couple wires m> from there and connect them to the two wires that are now connected m> to the output of the transformer. Then one still has to open the m> junction box and disconnect the transformer that's there now.

Your furnace transformer is 24 volts not 12.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

replying to Dick M., Rita ALLER wrote: Gggneed to raise volume on new qsonnette de Porte doorbell chimes

Reply to
Rita ALLER

I'm glad the rabid gerbils were in another country. They haven't made it over here yet?

Reply to
Tekkie?