boiler transformer

can someone tell me if a boiler running on low water could burnout the relay/transformer. I had an hvac guy tell me that this is the problem with my boiler and says he has to change the transformer because the unit trying to restart burned the relay out. is there any truth to this? I thought a transformer was part of the electrical system.

Reply to
mikee

There are 2 transformers- one for the thermostats, and one that makes the ignition spark.

Which?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Possible, not probable.

How much does this HVAC guy want to charge you?

It is.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

transformer for ignition spark |

Reply to
mikee

thousands

| | >I thought a transformer was part of the electrical system. | | It is. | | -- ||~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| || Malcolm Hoar "The more I practice, the luckier I get". | || snipped-for-privacy@malch.com Gary Player. | ||

Shpx gur PQN. | | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to
mikee

There are, as the others have said, at least two transformers on the system. It sounds like he's referring to the high voltage burner transformer. It would seem to me if a boiler had only a small amount of water in it, depending upon it being steam or hot water, if, the control that sensed the tank temperature or pressure, was unable to get a reading, the burner would run for prolonged periods of time, and possibly cause a burnout. I'd think it more likely to crack the boiler from overheating. In any event, when you have it repaired, have them install a low water cutoff to prevent future damage

Reply to
RBM

Scam!!!!!!!!!!!

Run, don't walk, to another HVAC guy.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Run. Run away from this guy very fast. Maybe $150?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

it is hot water tank pressure was down to 10 psi they are billing me for transformer and 6 hrs. labor for 3 guys (1 to work and 2 to watch).

thanks for the low water cut-off tip which they did not install.

could it have failed because of their negligence or is it my fault in any way. and why wouldn't this fall under warranty, boiler is 3 months old.

| |

Reply to
mikee

| > thousands | >

| | NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Run. Run away from this guy very fast. | Maybe $150? | |$150 wow, i wish thats less than their hourly rate for the 3 guys that came to repair it. which they charged me for 6 hrs. labor plus transformer.

Reply to
mikee

I'd question the 3 guys. It is a one man job for probably less than an hour (plus travel). If two were in training, you should not be paying for them. There is no way to justify that cost.

I've had part replace on industrial boilers that are very expensive, like a modulator for $590, a controller for $1800, but a transformer should be much less. As for the warranty, if it was a faulty install,(as opposed to negligence) they should be liable. Sounds like something is fishy here.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sounds like an awful lot of time and certainly more manpower than needed. Did they determine why it had low water? Is the auto fill defective? since the high voltage transformer has nothing to do with keeping the boiler filled, it's possible you'll have the same problem again, unless they've figured out what caused it in the first place. Over all it sounds like you need new boiler mechanics

Reply to
RBM

If it was at 10 PSI then there wasn't a low water problem, unless it was Steam then you have a totally different problem.

Which is it? Low water cut off not need for Force hot water only for steam.

Reply to
shebaaa