Transformer is Buzzing -

Billy:

B > I have a 9VAC GE security system transformer that began to make a faint B > buzzing sound and I'm worried this may be unsafe. The noise started a week B > ago after several weeks of it *not* buzzing when first installed - or at B > least I never noticed it. The unit does *not* appear "hot". B > B > I changed the receptacle that it is plugged into and checked for grounding B > and it is properly grounded. I tested the voltage for 110v with a multimete

B > and it is steady at 110. I also swapped the transformer with a new one but B > it still buzzes. Finally, I ran the transformer to another two outlets and B > it buzzed on both, but each with different intensity.

A brand new transformer also buzzed?? Was it also designed for the GE Security System? I'd try another transformer with the same ratings from Radio Shack or a hardware store. 9v is 9v. You need to watch the current capacity; greater is OK. (If the original transformer is rated 300 mA and the new one is 500 mA [0.5 A] that's OK.)

The buzzing is usually the core plates vibrating; sometimes can be "fixed" by tightening a (plastic) cable tie around it. When you tested by moving from outlet to outlet you may have changed the orientation of the xfmr some, such as on it's side.

B > What could be the cause of this, and how do I fix it? Is this a warning tha

B > it should not be used or corrected?

Basicly the buzzing is just a nuisance sound. Probably wastes a fraction of cent of electricity per year compared to a 'silent' xfmr. Unless the noise is bothersome I'd leave it alone.

  • Euphemism for Death: Installed the Kevorkian Plug-n-Play
Reply to
barry martin

Barry,

I don't know why, but your replies appears to be breaking the thread.

Maybe it was just a server burp or something on my end, or maybe it is your software.

Since it has happened on more than one day, I would tend to believe it is something to do with your software.

It does not really bother me, I have not even noticed it until just today, but I would guess the original writer may never see many of your responses.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan