Malibu Transformer Question

I got a Malibu 600 watt transformer. Model ML600TW. When I rotate the on/off knob, it makes the sound of smacking the outer housing with a stick. A loud audible clank. Then it hums.

When I apply the tester to the bottom connectors, I can't get it to read anything. Double checked tester with various voltage alkaline batteries on DC, and they tested fine, so tester is good.

Is this transformer fried? Is the humming normal? Is that clanking noise normal?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Mine did just about the same thing. Upon opening, it was built very cheap. I tightened the transformer laminations the best I could, however, they were not designed to be tightened. I dribbled some shellac into the laminations and it made the hum tolerable. I think I also beat on it with a hammer to tighten it as much as possible. I've heard of people dribbling glue, etc. to try to solve transformer humming.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Geez, now I'm really scratching the twins. Upon testing with a tester, I don't get anything. When I hook up a test wire and run it to a spare lamp, the lamp lights. Apparently, the transformer is still good. I can see no user serviceable fuses or resets. I'm going to pull the cover and look inside, but at least I don't have to go buy another one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

wrote

Good Craftsman AC/DC multitester.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Test it on an ac outlet. Might not be working.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

what kind of "tester"? Is it for AC? Something looking for DC will probably not see anything on AC

Reply to
gfretwell

Probably needs a load to do its thing.

Reply to
HeyBub

All that you are hearing is the timer contacts closing and the transformer kicking in. I have had the same model as you for 4 or 5 years, what you are experiencing is normal. The transformer hum usually lessens once it settles in and is barely noticable after that, but yeah, when it kicks in one can hear it some distance away.

Reply to
volts500

You may be thinking of basketball.

:)

Reply to
mm

But if this thing is a transformer, isn't its output supposed to be AC. That the tester will test DC doesnt' mean it is ok on AC. Each setting usually has its own resistor, and even the switch contact could conceivably be broken. Not that I think this has happened, but..

Reply to
mm

Yes, the output of that model transformer is approx. 12 volts AC. As you said, if he uses the DC scale on his meter it's going to read zero volts.

Reply to
volts500

Bingo. The label says 110 in, 12v out, but doesn't say AC or DC. When I just put it on the AC scale, it was 12.0 volts. I saw the automotive style bulbs used on some of the lights, and ass-u-med that it was DC.

You learn something every day.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B