short buzzing sound from circuit braker box when heat pump compressor starts?

Whenever my heat pump turns on I hear a short slight buzzing sound from my circuit breaker box (Federal Pacific). There is a dedicated breaker for the heat pump, and I'm assuming this is where the buzzing sound is coming from. Is this normal?? Thanks for your help! Vic

Reply to
vic

The high starting amperage draw of the motor is causing it. As FPE breakers are potentially problematic to begin with, I'd replace it. American Circuit Breaker makes one that fits and is U.L. approved

Reply to
RBM

Better check out that box thouroghly or call an electrician FP boxes can be major hazards.

read on:

RayV