Short circuit in GE Profile Range

We have a GE Profile gas range model PGS975SEP1SS.

Yesterday I smelled a burning smell in the kitchen and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. This morning I noticed that the light in the ove n would not turn out and the oven was slightly warm from the heat of the bu lbs. Then I felt along the front of the oven and on the right side the met al was very warm.

I shut if off from the circuit breaker and let it rest a while and then I t ried turning it back on and I noticed the lights are flickering dim to brig hter and back to dim. Seems like an obvious short circuit.

I am wondering if our daughter spilled water and it got down the front pane l with all the controls. She would never admit it so I'll never know.

Does this sound like an expensive repair?

The range is 7 years old. The microwave recently died and I said to my wif e "I'll bet the stove goes next". How right I was.

Do they design this stuff to break at 7 years? The fridge isn't doing so g reat either and occasionally runs warm.

Thanks for any feedback.

Steve

Reply to
szeik

I assume you unplugged it.

If is is water puddled someplace it may dry out and work again. Any way to get in there to see the switch or circuit board?

As for cost, most repairs shops charge $75 to $120 to walk through the door.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Entering the model number took me here: I didn't do a search for the part number on places like Ebay or Amazon.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Looks like it may be control ovn erc.. If it's been damaged.. $226.78..

or you could have an issue with the touchpad itself...

$251.97.

If you're comfortable taking the panel assembly apart, I'd do so and check to see if you can see any evidence of something being spilled on it and/or burned out. That may give you an idea of what to consider replacing, if the cost of those component(s) justifies the expense to you.

Reply to
Diesel

Except that he says it's the right side of the oven that feels hot. The control board, etc aren't there, unless he really means the top right, where the controls are.

The other problem is that unless you know what you're doing and are sure what it is, many times these parts are not returnable. And they are usually expensive to start with.

Reply to
trader_4

Every now and then one of these things goes my way!!

I turned the circuit breaker back on and went upstairs and the light switch is working again with no short circuit!

I did clear out a few crumbs from under the stove knobs which I had removed. I am guessing that if I removed that front panel over the Led controls I would find a ton of crumbs and debris.

I've got my fingers crossed that it will just work fine again.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this one.

Steve

Reply to
szeik

Glad it worked out for you. Water can complete a circuit and turn things on. Fortunately, it was benign and not a hazard.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski