Short in electric range!

We had a new GE smooth top Range installed 3 weeks ago. The previous range was a slide in that I removed and ripped out the small cabinet that was around it. The old stove was hard wired. I used the old wires and mounted the correct 3 plug receptical on the wall.

The stove was rocking a bit so I slid the bottom draw out to gain access. I adjusted the foot then noticed the power cord was pinched (slightly) behind the side of the stove. I reached over to the cord to pull it back into the space where the draw goes. As I moved the cord there was a spark and the breaker tripped for the stove. My luck holds out as I was not touching anything.

My first guess was the power cable was cut but I checked it carefully and it looks ok. I dont see a burn mark anywhere to tell where the spark came from.

I pulled the stove out, plugged it in and reset the breaker. Stove still works but I concerned to use it until I know what went wrong. I can replace the power cord but how can I be sure that was it? Is the stove safe to use? I will call GE in the morning.

I cheched where the power cord is connected and everything seems solid.

Any Suggestions appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
steve

Take a look inside the box you put the receptacle in. It's possible a wire touched the side when you wiggled the cord - some of them are a very tight fit.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

220v ranges usually use a 4 plug recepical... red, black, white, ground
Reply to
kato

I will inspect the power cord more closely for a cut tonight.

If I find a cut at least I will know what happened. My concern is its a short in the stove and is dangerous??

Am I correct that an existing stove can still run a 3 wire outlet? That is what they sold me at the store when I bought the range.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I recently moved into an 80 year old house. It also has 3 wire electric range cord and plug. The previous homeowner left the electric range when we bought it. It was rather old so we went to Scratch and Dent store and picked up a new radiant range with only minor scratches on the oven handle.

Not having a new strain relief connector for the cord I used the old one from the original range. When I installed it I was not happy with it. If I had left it the way it was, if I were to move the range in any way the cord would cut into the range. So I had an electrian come over and replace the strain relief connector while I had him move and add some extra outlets in a bedroom.

Reply to
Bill Davis Jr