Gas Dryer repair question

My Amana gas dryer stopped heating, and I could see the igniter wasn't glowing. This happened a few years ago, and turned out to be a solenoid coil, so I just went and bought the replacements and installed them. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the problem this time. The igniter element has continuity, so that doesn't appear to be the problem (or is that

100% sure?).

Anyway, I switched my meter to AC voltage, and stuck the leads into the connector for the igniter element. When I started the dryer, the voltage jumped up to 28 volts.

My main question is this: when things are working correctly, should that voltage to the igniter element be 120 volts? If 28 volts is the correct amount, then I would assume the igniter is the problem, even though it has continuity. If 28 volts is too low, is it an indication of what part I should look at?

Thanks very much for any advice you can give.

Bob

Reply to
Bob A. Bui

Does the igniter glow, or does it just have continuity?

Reply to
Chuck

Bob,

Sometimes

is a good place for applience questions.

Ed

Reply to
jagerEd

It was not, and still is not, glowing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob A. Bui

Hi,

The glow coil ignitor should receive 110-120 volts AC.

If the glow coil ignitor is not comming on, bad ignitor, bad flame sensor, no power from the dryer ( themrostats, timer, motor heat switch ) are possible trouble makers...

dryer helps.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff