How to compensate for ceiling strip when installing recessed housings?

I just ran into a problem.

My ceiling sheetrocks are not attached directly to the joist, but to a layer of 1x3 furring strips which are then attached to the joists. See image below.

Now, when I install recessed light housing I somehow have to account for this strip. If I line up the flange with the bottom of the joist and attach them that way, instead of the "lip" of the housing protruding 1/2" beyond the joist, it is a little above the furring strip and I assume this would be a problem.

I cannot lower the attachment point of the housing flanges, so I think my only solution is to sister 2x4s to the joists on both sides of the housing, but lower them to flush with the strip. This would not only add a lot of work, but will also require me to shift the housing positions as some of them that are supposed to be located such that it's butt up against a joist, would have to be repositioned.

Any easier way?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Use retrofit cans? They're quick & easy

Why was all the sheetrock removed? What's up with the insulation?

The new ceiling would be a lot stiffer if you used 5/8" sheetrock.

If you insist on using "new construction" cans.... can you modify the brackets or use them as is to attach to the cans to the furring strips?

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

I didn't know you can do that. That saves a ton of work. The only cans I have are H7T and H99T. You have been a great help RBM, thanks a bunch again!

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Use retrofit cans? They're quick & easy

Why was all the sheetrock removed? What's up with the insulation?

The new ceiling would be a lot stiffer if you used 5/8" sheetrock.

If you insist on using "new construction" cans.... can you modify the brackets or use them as is to attach to the cans to the furring strips?

cheers Bob

Sheetrock was removed for several reasons combined, it had some roof leaks, also part of the ceiling was slightly lower before when transitioning from living to dinning to kitchen, and now that I have that entire space opened up, I had to make the ceiling one level. Plus the sheetrock was 1/2" plaster coat over 3/8" gypsum backer board, matching thickness would be very difficult.

I can't use remodel cans now anyways with sheetrock down. Also since I use EMT conduits there are quite a few cases I did not have the clearances I need to put a housing in, if I had sheetrock down and use remodel cans, I would have opened up at least 80 holes for the 42 recessed lights I am installing.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

It'll work fine with the H7T, but the H99T is smaller, and uses three pointy spring clips instead of screws, so you can't lock it in place, and because it's smaller, you only have about 1/2" of adjustment. Also, it will be a problem when inserting the trim piece, which will have a tendency to push the can back up

Reply to
RBM

42 lights! What kind of bulbs, that sounds like alot of electricity and heat generated
Reply to
ransley

.

Wow, sure does. Either these are a humongous kitchen and dining room or sounds like overkill.

Reply to
trader4

No, not 42 lights in my kitchen.

42 is a grand total of recessed lights in the entire house.

Kitchen general - 4 Kitchen sink/counter area - 4 Dinning room - 6 Living room - 10 Four bedrooms - 2 each 10 total One hallway - 6 Four bathrooms - 5 total

So total of 45 recessed lights around the house. There are additional scones, flush mounts, pendants, fluorescent light coves, track lighting in these areas as well. But no, not 42 recessed lights in the kitchen, that would probably cook the food by itself LOL.

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Er, you have some math issues there...

Reply to
Pete C.

Yeah I know. The master bedroom has a mini-hallway to the master bath and closet and that takes up two more, so in my case it is 4 bedrooms and 10 total in the bedrooms, and the master bath has two recessed lights.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Most of the housings are H7T, so it should be OK. For the H99T cans, I have only 10 of those, so I will screw in some 1x2s to be flushed with the bottom of furring strips.

If there any way to stop the can from being pushed up when installing trim pieces? Anything I can do to lock down the cans?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

There won't be a problem if you're going to fur down the 99s. The H7s will be locked by the screws

Reply to
RBM