Lowes and The Dewalt 735

Lowes here in AZ anyway, is offering the Dewalt 735For 449.00 with a free dewalt tool up to 100.00 This info was sent to me by a kind woodworker here on the Rec.

So off to Lowes this morning , show the add to sales clerk, I have one question does this mean that i have to pick out something for up to 100.00 or can I get something that cost more and pay the differance.

Well they had to get the Tool Person, DUh Dunno good question, let me see the Manager, Well he said its already packaged in the box and 3 clerks disagrred with him because if it was they would have told you Buy this planer and get this XXXX free.

Well lets look at and in the Box, OOPS we don't have any only the one on display and we can't sell that Looked in the Computer the Only STore that had more than one is about an hour drive from here.

They told me someone ordered one Yesterday but the Computer didn't show if they got a 100.00 tool or waht it would have been.

So they have my name and Phone Number and they will check it out with the person that has contact with the Manufacturer. They are to let me know what gives Most of the clerks and one of the Asst. Mgrs. Read the Add they way I did But the Head Mgr. said it is something that is in the box already.

Will let you all know how it turns out.

George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

What LOWES (East Mesa, AZ) told me:

Well folks, here is my addition to the LOWES/DW735 saga. Wife and her folks said I should run down to LOWES and pick out my Xmas present. Knowing I plan on adding a planer to my shop, they suggest I might like that new DW735. (thanks to wife's input) They also saw the ad (last Sundays) which George refers to. So off to LOWES my wife and I go. (in-laws almost shut-ins) No one in Tool Dept. as is becoming the norm. "We'll page someone" Someone shows up. Show him the ad. "That is for extra set knives" I ask why the ad does not say _knives_ but does say "free $100 Dewalt tool, see store for details"? Second clerk shows up and reads it as "free $100 in tools" As there is no info regarding this ad at the Tool Dept. desk, I'm referred to the Customer Service desk. Customer Service has no clue either but makes several calls. Everyone they contact has a different answer. (3 managers)

I'm a rather trusting sort of guy and I DO want the planer. So I say that I will take it and trust that LOWES and Dewalt rep. will sort things out and come up with something in the neighborhood of $100 in tools, rebate or whatever. Well, they are down to the display only and, like George found out, will not part with it. But, their computer shows they have 2 in stock...somewhere. Either the second is in the back where on one can find it or it has grown legs and left w/o checking itself out of the computer. Another possibility is it is on order. They did say that they have had quite a bit of interest in the DW735 and should be ordering more. (DUH!!!) Checking the other stores via computer showed no Phoenix area stores having more than 1 in stock. BUT, they would allow me to buy one that is or soon will be on order. Would call me as soon as it arrives (7-10 days) So, I went that route. Head cashier wrote it all up and took full payment. She would look into the $100 bonus tool deal and let me know.

We left and headed home as I must now clean and rearrange the shop to find a place for the planer. (A project which could take 7-10 days in itself!)

Arriving home, we found a message on the voicemail from head cashier. She had located DeWalt rep. who had the details on the tool bonus. They were FAXing her the rebate form and she would mail me a copy of it.

I do not recall having this much trouble buying what I consider a big ticket item. Are the new planers in such short supply because of Just-In-Time inventory or what? Do LOWES actually have a Tool Department Manager in each store? They have no hand-out info for the new products at all. Wife says any thing this hard to buy had better do all they say it does.

More as the saga continues! DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

Hey Dex, ROTFLMAO, I was at Higley Road They said they had some Inventory in Goodyear Do not want to ride to Goodyear, Today, Tommorrow or anytime soon. I would not give them an Order Until I know I get the 100 Tool Rebate Gift Certificate or whatever, Yours must have been the order they have in the Computer that they sold yesterday.

What is amazing is how in the world does a large Company such as Lowes set up this sale and no one in the store knows about it or even has heard about or can't even find out about it. I can Understand that every sales clerk is not on the information chain, But C'mon the managers

Even one of the sales clerk, said Oh No if we advertise we have to honor it, Duh! Yuh I know what the law is.

To Be Continued.........

Hey this could become one of thise Reality TV shows, Stay tuned next week folks for the final episode of who gets the planer and the 100.00 rebate, Or who goes home empty handed.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I had heard that Lowes was selling the DW735 for 449.00 in this NG and went to Lowes to buy one. They did not have one on display, but did have two in stock. There was no price displayed for it and no one in the tool department. I asked that they page someone (twice) and 25 minutes later I was told that the price was $499 and that I should have looked at their latest flyer. I told him where to stick this planer and left. I ordered one online (Tyler Tool) and received it 5 days later.

BTW, I love the 735. Surface quality is as good as my brother's 24" Delta industrial planer.

-- Al Reid

Reply to
Al Reid

BTDT! I no longer shop at Lowe's. . .

Reply to
SwampBug

I think that rebate deal is a Dewalt thingy so checking out their site for details would be worth your wile. You could also save a ton of problems by ordering off of Amazon.com. If Lowes was cheaper they would match it +10% Free shipping (will they ship 92 lb. free?), no tax etc.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

Wife says any thing this hard to buy had better do all they say it does. : : More as the saga continues! : DexAZ

THAT's the very same Lowes store (East Mesa) at which the Customer Service Manager told me that DeWalt leads the list for Returned Items for a tool manufacturer. (He told me that as I returned yet another DeWalt Plate Jointer for shoddy workmanship at the factory.)

Best of luck to you :-)

Reply to
Steve