Home Depot 5-Gallon Buckets: Standards?

After buying a few after-market bucket covers, it's dawned on me that Home Depot's 5-gallon buckets (the orange ones with their logo...) measure something like 1/8" wider at the rim than do Lowes' and Tractor Supply's.

Is there a backstory here?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

You get more for your money at Home Despot?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Simple answer: Different manufacturing sources.

Do a Google Image search for 5 gallon buckets. There are all sorts of different configurations. 3 ribs, 4 ribs, wide ribs, narrow ribs, etc. I wouldn't be surprise if the lids you bought will fit some buckets but not all.

Oh look...the Lowes 16 oz hammer doesn't look anything like the Home Depot

16 oz hammer. Guess why? ;-)
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Different suppliers, different tooling to make them. I get a half dozen products in 5 gallon containers and they are all different. Some snap on, some twist on, some sturdier. Would not surprise me if they varied east coast versus west coast if they are made in different plants.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

When I was a kid we had a water heater that was called a bucket a day. It had no lid just a hatch to throw the coal in. Dad had to go down in the basement at least once a day and never wanted to go anywhere so the fire wouldn't go out.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Do the West coast ones have racing stripes and the East coat have American flags on them?

Reply to
Tekkie®

I had some friends that bought an old farmhouse that had a coal burning stove in the dining area of the great room. Similar to your Dad, they also became slaves to the stove, having to feed it 3 times a day. They fed it when they got up, when they got home form work and before they went to bed. If they didn't, it was a bear to get started again.

Funny story about their first winter with that stove...

The living room area of the great room had a huge fireplace. We were over their house for their first Christmas party and they started a roaring blaze in the fireplace. As the evening went on, the house was getting colder and colder. The owner checked the temperature of the coal stove and noticed it was going down. In an attempt to determine the problem, he opened the door to the coal stove. He, the entire dining area and the couple of friends that were standing nearby were immediately covered with coal dust. It was a huge mess.

As it turns out, the roaring fire in the fireplace was pulling air down the chimney of the coal stove, cooling it down. As soon as the owner opened the door to the stove the rush of air blew coal dust across the room, covering everything in its path.

Some of us were laughing so hard we were crying. Those directly involved, well, not so much.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I can imagine so. My parents house was so leaky there was no problem with makeup air.

The house heating boiler had a device controlled by the "thermostat" affectionately called a "hootie" that would control the draft air.

My Mom used to rag on him for many things and this apparatus was one of them. Eventually IIRC a neighbor with knowledge and LOW prices installed a "modern" oil fired boiler with instantaneous coil. The piping was all black threaded. He did a nice job! Kept them warm in their later years, probably over-sized by at least 2X. If they got a chill up the thermostat goes. Then the other would sneak over and turn it down. I guess this was the early version of a setback thermostat.

Reply to
Tekkie®