Do they make paint stirrers for 5 gallon buckets?

Do they make paint stirrers for 5 gallon buckets?

I only see short ones that attach to a drill, and are made to mix gallon cans of paint. I have several 5 gallon buckets of a roofing sealer that have been sitting for years and settled. It's a tar-like material, and rather thick. Stirring by hand seems near impossible. I just need a long enough stirrer to put in my drill. I have a powerful industrial plug in drill that should handle the job, if I can find an appropriate stirrer.

Reply to
Bud

They certainly make them. Just be sure you get a paint stirrer not a mortar mixer.

gfretwell

Great. I guess the local small hardware stores just dont have them... Thanks!

Just a guess..... Using a mortar mixer would spray the stuff all over the place, Right? (we dont want that.... ).

Reply to
Bud

The stirrer may be bigger but it's still meant for paint (and a "variety" of other materials)

You don't? What a fuddy duddy!

I have no experience with this, but would warming the buckets 20 or 30 degrees make it easier to stir? Would waiting until a hot day about

90^ and warming them 20 or 30 about that help? I have no experience with warming either, but maybe putting them outside in the sun under a black plastic sheet?

After that, would putting them upside down in the back of a pickup and driving across a bumpy dirt road help?

Reply to
micky

I mixed up some old driveway coating last year using a paint stirrer and drill. Very easy, no need to do anything special. The bad news is that this stuff that was about 8 years old did not adhere well, less than a year later it's rapidly wearing off. My experience with paint is that age like that didn't matter. But maybe with driveway coating it does.

Reply to
trader_4

Bud, given that you're attempting to "rejuvenate" roofing sealer that's "tar-like" I would opt for the wall board mixer shown on that same HD page that gfretwell posted.

That mixer for 5 gallon paint is plastic and will probably spread piece of plastic in the compound as soon as you turn it on. The wall board mixer, I have one, is cast aluminum and might be up to the task.

As others have said, a variable speed ½" drill is mandatory as would be a side grip to help fight the torque you'll experience until that stuff begins to thin out to a usable consistency.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Not sure about paint, but I had a girlfriend that would get all wet when I did that with her.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

All the 5 gal paint mixers I've ever seen are metal, they are readily available. IDK what one you're looking at, the HD one that was posted here is steel.

IDK how thick his roof sealer is, but I mixed up old driveway sealer very easily with just a 3/8 variable speed drill.

Reply to
trader_4

My Bad! When I opened the web page, the metal one was below the line and I just looked at the lineup along the top of that page. I was referring to that $5 something Warner.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Come to PA and any road will suffice, lots of potholes. Join the Mile A' Minute club...

Reply to
Tekkie®