Garage door & garage light

Why is it a special lamp is old at stores like Home Depot for garages. Namely, a "garage door lamp - 60 watts"?

Will any 60 watt bulb do? My local Home Depot is out of stock.

As always, thank you in advance.

Michael

Reply to
Michael T

I have in the past used standard bulbs in my openers for years, but the rough service bulbs used in hand-held garage service lights should hold up better, due to the slight vibration of the unit when it's operating. Thse bulbs are designed to take a little abuse, with extra filiment support. I switched to using these bulbs on the the work lamps on the screw machines at work, and the guys come get new bulbs WAY, WAY less than before.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Door openers vibrate when they are functioning. Vibration is hard on lamps so standard lamps tend to burn out quickly in that use. The garage door lamps are just lamps designed to handle the vibration better.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I stopped using 60 watt bulbs on the units and put in socket adaptors and plug in several non attatched worklights with 150 watt bulbs, door openers never give off enough light and heavy duty bulbs don`t last with the vibrations.

Reply to
m Ransley

I solved that problem by using a screw in flourescent bulb. Vibration won't bother these. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber