Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect. Can you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural gas but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would run about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial was also bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks. Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Olmsted

Most every brand makes a kit for conversion. Check out the web page of the one you are interested in. Go to some place other than Lowes for a good selection of quality grills instead of the mass market stuff. Propane dealers and some garden shops carry better quality brands.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

.. at substantially higher prices, of course.

There is a much wider selection of much better grills at Home Depot than at Lowes.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm surprised more people don't go this route.

I got mine online at Dickson Supply.

I don't think a conversion is the right way to go. Most of the bottled gas models are on wheels. With NG you want something that doesn't move around.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I found it was cheaper to buy a natural gas grill than to try to convert a LP grill. I suspect they only make expensive ones in NG because that is what sells.

Reply to
Toller

Hi, Up here in Canada, NG ones are about $50.00 more. Just buy a model made for NG hook up. My gas outlet was already on my patio w/ball valve. I just installed quick connect fitting with a length of hose. I can move around the BBQ quite a bit. No more lugging around tank to refill.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output of propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.

See your local BBQ dealer.

Reply to
PDQ

I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size.

Thats who did the job..works fine

Rudy

You get what you pay for. You won't find this at HD or Lowes.

Edwin Pawlowski

Or this one?

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Possibly but the quality will be similar.

Reply to
George

Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but, because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not attain the desired temperatures.

Reply to
PDQ

Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but, because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not attain the desired temperatures.

Reply to
PipeDown

Hey Pipe;

Nice to know there is somebody who actually agrees with me.

Reply to
PDQ