Propane System Converted to Natural Gas

Ive read many comparisons between propane and natural gas, but had a question that i havent found answered anywhere yet.

i am in the process of purchasing a building in massachusetts. it currently has three propane tanks which provide the fuel for the heating systems. i am converting the building into loft spaces for living - the project is large and i am phasing it - in the first phase, i would like to just use the existing propane tanks as fuel but eventually, in a later phase, convert to natural gas.

my question is, will the system installed to heat the spaces with propane (ie piping, meters, boilers, etc) be easily converted to natural gas at a later date?

for example, will the piping run through the building for propane work for natural gas as well, or is different diameter or type piping required?

as for the boilers, it sounds like propane boilers are easily converted to natural gas, but what about the meters?

any input would be appreciated!

Reply to
evangelion

Depends on what is installed now. It may or may not work. I can't see it from here. You'd have to size out each appliance for the gas. There are charts available if you do a Google search on gas pipe sizing.

The gas compnay will convert the meters for you, unless you are doing your own sub-dividing after the main meter.

Before you do anything, are you sure thee is natural gas available at reasonable cost? If I want to have it to my house, it is $20,000+ to extend the main. Usually, people go with NG if it is readily available, propane if it is not.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Natural gas has fewer BTUs than propane, if the boilers were sized close to the needed capacity for greates propane fuel economy you may have a problem.

have some local contrators check out your current system.

call natural gas supplier their local lines may not be large enough to support your building

on the other hand they may offer incentives to convert, dont know till you call

Reply to
hallerb

Propane works on higher pressures than natural gas therefore the pipes will need to be larger for NG than Propane. The meters belong to the gas utility, so some piping work around will be needed for both supplies and the switchover. You really need to talk to the gas utility if you plan to use them eventually.

Reply to
EXT