Slow news day

"No damage or injuries have been reported"

"Glen Ford from the British Geological Survey said it could have been "quite alarming" for anyone who felt the earthquakes."

Reply to
ARW

Also can anyone guess who made the front page of the Sunday Express?

Reply to
ARW

Can I guess that you have been at your Mum's for Sunday lunch? The olders lap up that s**te.

Reply to
fred

Only the female side of the family:-)

Reply to
ARW

Seems an odd statement :

"There are only two or three of them a year of that size," he said.

When you consider those were the fifth of that kind of magnitude so far this month alone:

John Rumm

Last 50 days. Nearer two months, the oldest on that list is 6th July.

And which earthquake is he refering to? The 05:37 UTC magnitude 2.4 (forth in the last 50 days) or 09:58 UTC magnitude 3.2 the only one above 3 in the last 50 days?

You can certainly tell it's a bank holiday week end. No follow up shock horror "the teacups rattled and the cat ran outside fearing the house would collaspe".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There was a similar level of discussion about the 4.3 earthquake on 18 August 1984 - which I felt in Lytham St Annes - so not far from Blackpool. The building I was in shook and rumbled - disconcerting but minutes later we were working as usual.

Reply to
polygonum

We had a 4.3 in Folkestone a few years ago. Several chimneys down, and one house demolished due to damage (was in a state before hand mind...)

I spilt my mug of tea as I was carrying it from the kitchen at the time, and a few things fell of shelves. My wife was in the bath - apparantly that was wierd :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Frackin' heck!

Reply to
R.G. Bargy

A 2.4 and a 3.2. Oh *dear* !! They should wait until they've been in a real earthquake before opening their gobs.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was lying in bed, and the bed sort of floated sideways and back again. And I was about 20 miles (1 picoparsec) north-ish.

Reply to
Bob Eager

(a) thats not true. This was over 3 on the Richter., Those ARE rare.

(b) Anything earthquake wise is grist to the mill of the anti-frackers. Who have lots of money to give to journalists (and apparently the Tory party...

)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh that WILL get them excited in Balcombe!

Reply to
harryagain

Ah those earthquakes again. I seem to recall feeling one of those way back in the 1960s, I guess we get so few its worth reporting them.

I think there are places in the world where I'd be worried if I felt even a small one though, Such as La Palma in the Canaries, where the Island is splitting in two!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I felt one three years ago!

In Johannesburg central, they were 5 times a day due to the mining.

In London they used to wake me up. It was the routemaster idling at the bustop under my window. Used to shake the whole house. Or the underground trains passing underneath.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The TV wobbled on its stand and pendant light fittings swayed a bit. The bed wobbled a little. We're 100 miles west if Folkestone.

Compare that with the L' Aquila earthquake which threw us out of bed and moved the barn five millimetres to the north. That was a 5.9 earthquake about 70 miles away.

Reply to
Steve Firth