How do you take the plug out?

I thought I'd ask before I need it rather than wait for an overflowing sink.

Moved house. New unbranded bathroom suite came with the house. Wash basin has a push-to-close-push-to-open waste plug. I've never had one of them before and there's no obvious way to take the plug right out for cleaning. Rotating it doesn't seem to raise or lower it so I guess it doesn't unscrew and nothing budges when I pull gently. I'm loathe to pull hard in case I break it when there's nothing (yet) wrong with it.

How do these things normally work?

Any suggestions?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Ours unscrews. Can't think why you'd want to though. The biofilm/bugs/germs seem happy enough to stay down in the drains and have so far not made an attempt on my life.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ours just loft off - but then they are from B&Q

Reply to
bert

Might it depend on the type of water? Here, the pop up waste in the bathroom basin has to be removed a couple of times a year for cleaning. But it just lifts out so no big deal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, no, Tim, I don't want to. But I'm asking in case I have to. Rotating anti-clockwise or clockwise seems to make no difference to the height above the plug-hole so I guess it's like Bert's and Dave's and should pull out but has got stuck. I think I'll leave it as it is unless or until I have a problem with it.

Thanks all.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Nick Odell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The top disc of mine unscrews. I just use a cloth to help grip it and then unscrew it. The thread is quite short.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Likewise the one at my mum's house, but unscrewing the top flange really doesn't help if you want to remove the whole mechanism as it gives you nothing much to grip on. In her's it took me quite a while to realise that the mechanism did come out; like other people here I thought it just went round and round. But it does come out if you pull. The part that comes out has an O-ring around it, making it a fairly tight fit in the sink hole.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I think Travelodge etc use them. It stops guests nicking the plug.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

En el artículo , Nick Odell escribió:

Mine just pulls up and out. It's got a sealing O ring so is quite a snug fit in the pipe.

The strainer does unscrew, I think so it can be cleared if it clogs with e.g. hair.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mike Tomlinson wrote in news:OKqQ2BCbl8GSFwi3 @jasper.org.uk:

I think a photo is needed