How do you clean out a bathroom sink overflow?

How do you clean out a bathroom sink overflow? This may be the original sink from the 1940's with a opening about 1" by 2". It used to be able to handle a reasonable overfill rate but now very little water actually goes down through the overflow. Even a "toothbrushing trickle" flow from the faucet can cause it to overflow.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

If I understand your question correctly, I would try, in succession:

  1. one of these foaming cleaning products designed for cleaning garbage disposals, under the assumption that it is full of small particles of soap and other "things"
  2. muriatic acid, with the idea that it's blocked by mineral deposits. Be careful in using that product, but it works wonders on cleaning deposits in traps and other areas where mineral deposits accumulate.

Pierre

Reply to
pierre

Zip it good:

I love these things. They work great.

Reply to
HellT

If I understand your question correctly, I would try, in succession:

  1. one of these foaming cleaning products designed for cleaning garbage disposals, under the assumption that it is full of small particles of soap and other "things"
  2. muriatic acid, with the idea that it's blocked by mineral deposits. Be careful in using that product, but it works wonders on cleaning deposits in traps and other areas where mineral deposits accumulate.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of muriatic acid, just a small sized "mini snake" I got a Harbor Freight to clean the sunroof drain tubes in my Honda.

-- Bobby G.

*HOLCOMB, JOHN NOBLE Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company D, 2d Battalion, 7th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division. Place and date: Near Quan Loi, Republic of Vietnam, 3 December 1968. Entered service at: Corvallis, Oreg. Born: 11 June 1946, Baker, Oreg. During the enemy withdrawal an enemy rocket hit Sgt. Holcomb's position, destroying his machine gun and severely wounding him. Despite his painful wounds, Sgt. Holcomb crawled through the grass fire and exploding mortar and rocket rounds to move the members of his squad, everyone of whom had been wounded, to more secure positions.
Reply to
Robert Green

ranza.aioe.org:

you might try pouring very hot water down the overflow, that may open it up

Reply to
bob haller

Alternative to the muriatic acid is a strong base (i.e., lye). Most drain-cleaning products are in this category.

What I like is a concentrated lye liquid. Using appropriate caution, spooning the stuff into the overflow should do the trick.

Keep the bottle on the countertop and give the overflow drain a dose every day for a week.

DO NOT confuse the drain cleaner with your mouthwash.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote

Straight up or on the rocks?

Once upon a time when I had a color darkroom in my kitchen I used to use 1 gallon milk containers for the various non-oxidizing chemicals like Ektaprint bleach. I got up in the middle of the night to take some aspirin for a headache, and I mistakenly took a swig from the bleach bottle. Since then I've been excruciatingly careful about putting non-food stuff in food containers. I also thoroughly check siphon tubes before sucking on them to start the flow after I sucked a very healthy and large cockroach into my mouth trying to drain a gas lawnmower tank. Yuck!

-- Bobby G.

*JENKINS, ROBERT H., JR. Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps, 3d Reconnaissance Battalion, 3d Marine Division (Rein), FMF. Place and date: Fire Support Base Argonne, Republic of Vietnam, 5 March 1969. Entered service at: Jacksonville, Fla. Born: 1 June 1948, Interlachen, Fla. A North Vietnamese soldier threw a hand grenade into the friendly emplacement. Fully realizing the inevitable results of his actions, Pfc. Jenkins quickly seized his comrade, and pushing the man to the ground, he leaped on top of the marine to shield him from the explosion. Absorbing the full impact of the detonation, Pfc. Jenkins was seriously injured and subsequently succumbed to his wounds.
Reply to
Robert Green

Good point. I think I'll try the snake first and if that doesn't work, I'll hunt down one of those Zip-it doodads HellT suggested (THANKS, HT!). I saw another drain cleaner kit with an interesting looking disposable plastic snake that might work.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

-- Bobby G.

*JIMENEZ, JOSE FRANCISCO Rank and organization: Lance Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps, Company K, 3d Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division. Place and date: Quang Nam Province, Republic of Vietnam, 28 August 1969. Entered service at: Phoenix, Ariz. Born: 20 March 1946, Mexico City, Mex. L/Cpl. Jimenez' unit came under heavy attack by North Vietnamese soldiers concealed in well camouflaged emplacements. L/Cpl. Jimenez reacted by seizing the initiative and plunging forward toward the enemy positions. He personally destroyed several enemy personnel and silenced an antiaircraft weapon. Shouting encouragement to his companions, L/Cpl. Jimenez continued his aggressive forward movement. He slowly maneuvered to within 10 feet of hostile soldiers who were firing automatic weapons from a trench and, in the face of vicious enemy fire, destroyed the position. Although he was by now the target of concentrated fire from hostile gunners intent upon halting his assault, L/Cpl. Jimenez continued to press forward. As he moved to attack another enemy soldier, he was mortally wounded.
Reply to
Robert Green

What about Drano?

Reply to
Thomas

My methods

1st run a thin stiff wire down the hole and try to get it where it come out then tie a small rag (make certain it will not come off) and run it also. I keep my kitchen sink drains wide open that way.

2nd remove s> How do you clean out a bathroom sink overflow? This may be the original

Reply to
jimmy

I'd lose the small rag. It's a given. (-:

That's not going to happen. Old plumbing and the most delicate in the house. Remove it and I will be committing to a major replumb. (-: I've decided on lye and a small snake.

Yes, I would! Now I have to figure out how to get rid of the rust trails all around the rim of a pretty new toilet.

Thanks for your input!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

To prevent bathroom sink overflow Check your drains.Drains Can Be Clogged By Many Reasons & Clogged Drains Are The Most Dreadful Plumbing Problem For Everyone.Contact Professionals To Unclog Your Drain Visit -

draincleaningservice.social

Problem solved! Use a slim jim car door opener tool. $9 on amazon (Dorman help 75490 door unlocked tool). Make sure your drain opening is big enough to accept this tool. Tried a coat hanger for 20 minutes, no luck. Cleared the rusted/corroded overflow drain out in 10 seconds with this tool. Anoth er tip, if you are replacing the plastic overflow drain cover leave the old one in while you are reaming out the drain so you don't scratch/chip the c eramic rim.

Reply to
cohern