Bathroom faucet- leaks into cabinet when backpressure created

I discovered a problem last night with my bathroom faucet. If you have it on and hold a towl or something up to the water, forcibly stopping the water (I was rinsing out a hand towl and trying to force water through it), then underneath it leaks/sprays. The leak is coming from the plunger that you pull up/push down to plug/unplug sink.

Is this normal for a sing to do this? The sink/house is only 4 years old. I have not tested this in other bathrooms yet.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas.

-Clayton

Reply to
Dooler

It only looks like it is coming from the lift rod/plunger. After the faucet is secured/sealed to the sink, there is a small opening for the rod to go thru. If any water leaks under the faucet base, it will drip out thru the opening for the rod.

Many single-handle faucets have a spout design which is open on the bottom side, or at least not sealed. So, any water which splashes or is forced underneath can get under the faucet base, where it can leak thru the rod opening.

Take a look at the bottom of the spout to see if this is true of yours. You may be able to caulk the space where the spout meets the base but it's basically a design problem.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to