Kitchen faucet leaks from base

Leaks more right after faucet is turned on, but a little all the time.

I am not handy enough to remove faucet from underneath (to change gasket IF that is the problem). Right now, can't afford to call a plumber or replace the faucet. (On the latter, I am waiting to replace a lot of chipped tile and get the whole counter regrouted so I can have a wall-mounted faucet put in.)

After recaulking recently around the sink area, I note that the water from leaky faucet softens and practically dissolves the caulk behind the faucet. So much for thinking I could caulk around the base. The "plumbing" guy at OSH heard my story and recommended plumbers putty.

Does NG think plumbers putty would hold the line until I can afford a permanent solution?

Or is there some kind of gasket I can form around the base of the faucet that would keep the water in?

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Your situation is hopeless, no gasket/putty will keep water in the pipes. Letting the leak continue could mess up your tile substrate and cost a lot more $$. So just do the smart thing, shut off the water and disconnect the supply lines, drain, and pull the sink out complete with faucet. Replace faucet and reinstall. Now you'll be ready for the next phase of your project without a self induced disaster to cope with.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Higgs Boson wrote in news:fac6876b-049b-427c-a3f4- snipped-for-privacy@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

What kind of faucet?! There are hundreds. Where is it leaking? Where the base meets the countertop?

Basic econo faucets:

It does not sound like plumbers putty is the solution. That is only used to mount drains through the sink hole. Putty will just trap water and direct it someplace else causing damage to the counter and/or wall and/or sink base.

If you could take a pic of it and post I'm sure someone can give you some direction. Whether you are willing or capable of an attempted repair is another story.

Reply to
Red Green

This one looks exactly like mine, so I don't need to take/post pic.

The leak is from the base of the faucet itself, not from what sits on the sink.

You furnished a perfect pic!

Other poster said forget it; install new faucet, and I am tending in that direction (but don't think I would need to pull out sink). HOWEVER I don't want a new faucet that sits on the sink like this one. I really want a wall-mounted, but need to ask NG whether I have enough height.

It is 6" from sink surface to top of tile backsplash. I assume a plumber would be able to drill into the tile backsplash without wrecking it, but is 6" enough for "wall mount"?

Also, IMPORTANT, would the extra plumbing to bring the water lines up to back mount be very expensive? IOW, could the plumber just add a few inches onto the existing pipes, or...?

Last, does the NG have experience/opinions on one-handle vs. separate handles? At present I have the one-handle that swings both ways but aesthetically I prefer two handles.

(a) Do I have to pay for more two faucets? (b) Would that kind of faucet wear better, or is there no dif. (c) I can't afford a luxury item like most of the wall-mounteds that I see on-line. Anybody got a recommendation for a mid-level, sturdy wall-mount faucet? (Assuming it can fit on a 6" rise from sink surface.)

Many thanks in advance for help on these issues.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r24g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

The swing O-rings are probably bad where the faucet pivots

The shutoff in the handle has bad washer(s)/cartridge or whatever is used in your particular one.

At this point just replace it as suggested. You can get a cheapo for $35-

50 like a price Pfister, Peerless, Glaciar Bay.

You said you are not handy enough to replace the faucet nor can afford to have a plumber do it. Unless you have a handy friend what are we suppose to tell you?

It's possible, IF you can get just a new cartridge, it may include O- rings to solve both your issues. You're gonna have to figure out how to get your particular one apart. That will probably be done from above the sink. If you look at this diagram you'll see a [set]screw starts the disassembly. This is only the general idea, not your particular unit.

If you consider the cost of a new econo faucet too expensive then relatively, the plumber will be expensive.

I'd GUESS he's gonna tap in someplace and add on. Whether or not he can use plastic and fish it to the tap will depend on your particular setup and desires. And for being in a $ squeeze, why are you looking at wall mount versions? Now you're talking expensive fixture + a more involved install.

Reply to
Red Green