Leaking Faucet

I have something similar to a Delta compression faucet in my bathroom. I replaced the washers and springs in the faucet, but when I turn on the cold water, water leaks out of the hot water handle near where it is attached to the sink (a significant leak, but not a gusher). When I turn on the hot water, it also leaks out of the cold water handle. As I write this, I am not sure whether the faucet leaks when the handles are not turned on. However, if there is a leak, it is a very minor one. Beneath the handles are small cylindrical plastic cartridges that, by appearance, do not look bad to me, and are very similar to Delta cartridges that I have on another faucet. Unfortunately, I can't find the name of the faucet anywhere.

Can someone tell me what is going on and how to fix it. Thanks,

JD

Reply to
Decij

You may have corrosion enough to make the sealing O-rings ineffective. Lacking proper repair parts, replacement may be the best option time-wise. If you decide to replace the assembly, consider upgrading shut-offs to newer quarter turn types and use braided stainless steel feedlines. If working on the sink is a big hassle, consider an alternative suggested by a post in this NG some time ago: that clever person simply removed the entire sink from vanity, changed out faucet set and installed new feed lines before reinstalling in the vanity. That idea could save you a couple of hours working in cramped quarters. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Speaking of which, I plan to remove a very old corner porcelain sink to work on the leaky faucets (separate handles and spouts for both hot and cold water), but the shutoff valves don't. Shut off, that is. So they need to be replaced, too, necessitating a whole-house water shut off, what joy. So my question is: do y'all think replacing these with compression fittings would be ok, or is this going to be a torch/solder job? I'm praying this won't be a nightmare; I've never replaced shutoff valves before.

Reply to
xymergy