Leaking anti-siphon garden hose faucet

Hi All,

We have an outdoor faucet to hook up a garden hose. It is one of those "anti-siphon" types.

For context see this picture:

When we turn the water on it leaks extremely badly around the gray plastic cap that is on top. I removed it to get a closer look at it:

I noticed that there is no washer or anything to form a seal, it's all just hard plastic... is this how it is supposed to be?

Can I just buy a washer? Or do I replace that gray cap? Or do I need to replace the entire faucuet (I hope not)?

Thanks for any help!

-Josh

Reply to
joshbeall

Hi, You can't mess with it. Just replace with another new faucet. I have those out at my cabin. So far I don't have leak problem.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My B&K has an O-Ring in that area. Not certain if that unit can be replaced. If you have a threaded type it is easier to just change the whole faucet. If it is solder type or not easy to get at is something else.

Reply to
Rich256

I replaced mine with the old style its not anti siphon, alot of hardware stores stock the old style Ace is where I got mine.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

This is easier to do than replace the faucet.

Terry

It'll meet the code if you put an anti-siphon adapter ($3.95) on the outlet of an old style sillcock providing it isn't a frost free sillcock. The frost free type must have it's own internal anti-siphon to meet code. I saw that warning on the package insert after I bought an anti-siphon adapter for my frost free sillcock. Won't work.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

The frost free, anti siphon is nice if you live in an area where you get deep freeze and forget to disconnect the hose.

Reply to
Rich256

Unfortunately the thing is welded onto the house's plumbing infrastructure. :-(

I did manage to find a replacement part at Home Depot (with the help of one of their plumbers), and it works. There's still some slight leaking around the faucet knob itself when it's on... perhaps there's bad o-ring somewhere. But at least the hose is usable again. Before it leaked like crazy around the vacuum breaker (the bit I replaced).

-Josh

Reply to
joshbeall