hose bib with anti-siphon leaks

I've got a hose bib on teh side of the hosue that has a small anit-siphon mechanism on the top of the valve. While beginning to make use of this outlet this season I have found that water is leaking from the anti-siphon mechanism. I'm guessing that there is some gasket that need to be replaced but at this moment I haven't figured out how to get inside the mechanism. The top is a plastic cap, can this be pryed off to get access?

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Just went through this. I thought it was just the cap leaking but that was in addition to a major leak because of a crack in the valve. The instructions state that the hose must be disconnected from the hose bib during cold weather to allow the water drain from the valve and prevent freezing. When I disconnected the valve from inside the house and slid the unit out of the wall, there was a 1 inch crack in the copper pipe portion of the valve..

Reply to
jerryl

A little dribble each time it turned on is normal, but continued leaking is not.

I just replace the valve as they are usually cheap to start with and I use a better quality one and I have not had any of my replacements fail.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

the tops of mine unscrew easily.

Reply to
Bob M.

On Sat, 5 May 2007 08:58:25 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"

This was a continual leak.

This is on a freezeproof faucet and the connection to the inside plumbing is deep inside finished space so replacement was last on the list of alternatives.

Te bib was a Woolford model 17 and a repair kit was only $2.49. Installation took only a few minutes and everything is good now.

Thanks for the comments.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Replacement of the seals is most likely quite easy. The freezeproof portion of it is nothing more than a very long shaft with seals at the end, which you can remove by simply disassembling the faucet from the outside and unscrewing the shaft.

Reply to
Bob M.