Garden Hose anti-kink options...

I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem is over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending the metal around the problem areas?

Reply to
Hench

Empty the hose (take any fittings off the ends), take the hose all of the way out - straight, and let it turn (twist) as it is pulled out

*AND* as it's put away. Every time. Let it do its natural twist as it's coiled. If you try to force it to do what you want it to, it'll get kinky.
Reply to
krw

Have you not seen the cable TV ads for the "X Hose" ??

Take a look at

Retired

I'm curious to read the answers. I don't have much success with this kind of thing.

Perhaps you need different reels, or different winding technique.

.

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending the metal around the problem areas?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Cable TV ads? I woulnd't buy anything off cable TV now that Billy is dead. Or while he was living, either.

.

Have you not seen the cable TV ads for the "X Hose" ??

Take a look at

Stormin Mormon

They're cheaper on Ebay anyhow.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Maybe you need a better reel. Get a Rapid Reel and you won't have to twist the hose to store it. I get no kinks with mine.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I use cheap cranking type reels. Got one looping type too. Never had a permanent hose kink. So here's the option I use. Don't stow a kink. When winding and you see a kink approaching, quit winding and go get rid of the kink by whipping it out, or pulling the hose straight and turning it.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Hmmm... I think I'd just cut out the damaged areas, and put in repair splices. I like the solid brass ones that use separate clamps.

As someone else mentioned, laying out the hose in a figure-8 pattern works great. Been doing it for eons. Almost all of my hose failures are attributable to the gardener and his clowns.

For the record, I've been buying those black Craftsman lifetime rubber hoses for the last 25 years... maybe even longer, can't remember. They cost more, but as they always seem to exchange them, no receipt, no questions, no matter what... makes them far cheaper in the long run. I've only bought 2 so far, one for the front and another for the back. Both get a lot of use, and have been exchanged under warranty 3 times IIRC. They also come with quality solid brass machined couplings... not those wimpy sheet brass trinkets as so many others now have. I do worry about Sears going out of business though... it seems they have everything but customers in the store these days.

I try to avoid leaving hoses pressurized... even momentarily. It's tough on them. But the gardner and other family members regularly do so with seemingly little wear/tear.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

My hose had an erection. O_o

Sorry, couldn't help it. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That is my solution also. I have 2 that I have had for several years now and neither one has a permanent kink in it yet. I have pulled a few kinks in them, but when I release the kink they straighten right back out.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Per Retired:

I don't think I've seen more than 20 seconds of any TV advertisement in the past 5 years.

Those things are bad for the mind... and I don't have much mind to spare...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Hench:

FWIW we have exactly the same situation: 100' front and back.

But we have no kinking issues.

Only two things I can think of:

- Type of hose reel (and that's a stretch... I mean... what can go wrong there?)

- Technique: Our hoses have stripes on them so any twist is visually identifiable.

When I wind a hose, I watch for twists and correct them as the hose goes on to the reel.

Devil's Advocate Position:

Why not just leave whatever length of the hose that is most frequently used laying on the ground instead of wound up on the reel?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Because it kills the grass.

Reply to
krw

laying on the ground instead of wound up on the >reel? Because it kills the grass.

And wraps around the mower blades.

Reply to
TimR

Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:42:24 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote: > =

ed laying on the ground instead of wound up on the >reel? Because it kills = the grass. And wraps around the mower blades.

PS lying on the ground, not laying. You've been reported by the grammar po= lice.

Reply to
TimR

100' is beyond my ability to haul around....when I did use long hose for lawn watering, I left it full but with supply shut off until I reeled it up with the nozzle shut off, then just let out most of the water after it was rolled up.
Reply to
Norminn

Hench,

There are lots of products to reinforce sections of hose that kink. One called fix-a-kink comes to mind. If you are cheap like me use about 8" of old hose. Use a safety razor to split the hose open. Place it around the kinky section. Duct tape firmly.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

You know, not many people are that skilled in grammar and usage. Well dun!

.

PS lying on the ground, not laying. You've been reported by the grammar police.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Considering that as an option. I'll prolly use automotive type duct tape that'll really stick.

Reply to
Hench