OTC Walk-in-Bath

I am considering a walk in bath for my wife. I have info in two different companies but am not yet convinced which one to buy. Have any of you guys purchased a walk in bath? If so, what are your experiences, both pro and con. I don't know what the prices are. They tell me I have to schedule a home visit so they can see what needs to be done to install. Right now I am just collecting info. Thanks for any input you can give. Chuck B.

Reply to
Chuck

I am considering a walk in bath for my wife. I have info in two different companies but am not yet convinced which one to buy. Have any of you guys purchased a walk in bath? If so, what are your experiences, both pro and con. I don't know what the prices are. They tell me I have to schedule a home visit so they can see what needs to be done to install. Right now I am just collecting info. Thanks for any input you can give. Chuck B.

Reply to
Chuck

Do you specifically mean a walk in bath, as in bath tub, or have you considered a full size walk in shower?

My parents (mid-80's) recently installed a full size walk in shower. It has a curb of about 3, maybe 4 inches which my mom has no trouble negotiating, even with her knee issues. They love the full size and it was easy to install in place of the existing tub. Quality sliding doors completed the project.

They never took baths so a tub was not required.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I haven't bought one, but I would be concerned on how fast it drains. According to the commercials I've seen, you have to walk in and then let the water fill-up in order to bathe. I suspect that you'll also have to wait for the water to drain before stepping out. What if you need to get out in a hurry for some unknown reason?

Reply to
rlz

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Chuck B

Reply to
Chuck

You want to bring a little bit of a health facility comfort to your home I = guess.=20 Well, guess what, commercial sink traps are 2=94 while residential trap siz= es are 1 =BD=94. Now you know what size to tell the plumber to install the next time you hav= e your bathroom remodeled.=20

Reply to
recyclebinned

Chuck wrote in news:kcvt00$gch$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

googling and found this - a Quick Drain system

Over to the side of the search links of Google it listed 4 tubs. They were $3300 to $5300 (uninstalled???). If you can stay in your own home, seems like it's worth it.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Walk in tubs for residential installations do not require increasing the size of the existing drain or trap.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Read this...claims that most tubs drain in 3-5 minutes with standard plumbing.

DerbyDad03

Of course.

Women have to be NEAR a source of running water (tub, sink, washer, etc.), possibly because they ARE a source of running water (tears, potty-time, etc.).

Reply to
HeyBub

I'd also wondered about how quickly one could get out of the tub. Even if it's not for an urgent situation, just because it'd cold sitting there with nothing on. You could eventually put a robe on, but probably not until the water level went down. On the flip side, I've wondered about sitting there waiting for the tub to fill. I'm a shower person now, but back in the day I know I'd completely run the bath before getting into the warm water.

If I had trouble getting into the tub, which I anticipate some day, I think I'd rather have a walk-in shower with a chair/stool. I've considered replacing my current tub with the larger conversions ("bathfitter")showers they show on TV. I'm mostly hesitant because of resale value since the house would have no tub.

Reply to
Lee B

Saw an alternative at the Building Show in Florida last year -- it was a "bath seat" with a ceiling mounted hoist and rail that could raise, move and lower someone into an existing tub. It was probably about the same price; but lots easier to install. I don't remember the brand, but the same company had a system for getting people into and out of bed.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Good points I hadn't considered, though I haven't given these things more than a passing thought, like anything else "as advertised on TeeVee".

After having showers in two homes, now, I'd never buy a house without one. I couldn't care less about a bathtub (both houses have had them in the master but I've never used them). OTOH, I believe it's generally code to have at least one bathtub in the house, not that it would stop me. The shower is one of the reasons we haven't "downsized" - rather the opposite.

Reply to
krw

We bought a house about 7 years ago. It had 2 full baths in it. The master bedroom and bath was down stairs. My wife did not like the looks of the master bath so I had it redone. We took out the tub and put in a walk in shower. The shower is small, about 3 or 4 feet square. made out of the man made marble subistute. Forgot what it is called, but it is mixed up like epoxy glue. It was made to fit the space we wanted it in. Best thing we did for the house. You only have to step up about 2 inches, maybe 3 inches to get into it. The door for it is hinged and is glass.

If we do want a tub bath we can always go up stairs for that.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

This site offers suggestions, such as installing a heater fan above the tub to keep warm. However, I can see issues with this based on my experience with heater fans in bathrooms.

I have a heater fan in my basement bathroom and I use it during the colder months while sitting on the throne since the basement is pretty cool. Sometimes it's gets warmer than I would like. I can reach the switch from the toilet, but I don't think it's code to have the switch within reach of a tub/shower.

If the heater fan were on a thermostat or had a remote control I can see that as a possible solution to sitting around naked in a filling/ draining tub.

Of course, if it were me, I'd go for a walk-in shower with a bench. I've never been a fan (no pun intended) of baths.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Heck, I want a walk in shower that works like a car wash, the things are available for dogs, why not for people? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I have one of those.

I walk into the shower and SWMBO washes me, head to toe.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So she's a pet caretaker? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Well, I am the alpha-dog in my house.

You can trust me on that, no need to bother her with that question. Really, don't ask her. OK? Please?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, a machine.

Reply to