Garden hoses

Bought one of these kink free 35' hoses from Sears, I hate it. Darn thing won't lay flat since I coil on a hose hanger. Wish I would have bought a

3/4" instead of the 5/8", but they didn't have it available in that size. Hose was claimed as "flexible" on package. It's a royal pain since the curls from hanging stay put, and you have to wind it back the way you took it off.

Been looking on the net for a 3/4", 35' garden hose. What type of material should I be looking for?

Have the usual big box stores around here, along with Tractor Supply. Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Rocco

Hi, Ditto on that!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Like there's a choice?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yes, think hard.

Reply to
Rocco

Their brain might explode!!!

Reply to
burton roberts

Hoses are a pain in the ass no matter what type.

Reply to
LSMFT

Rope does the same thing. Don't fight city hall. I have two 50' hoses end-to-end and another 100'. They coil up quite nicely, if I let them decide how they want to hang.

Rubber.

When you take out the hose, take it all out. Straighten it before putting it away and then coil it as *it* wants to be coiled, not as you want.

Reply to
krw

In news:ilgcd8$7q1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, Rocco typed: :: Bought one of these kink free 35' hoses from Sears, I hate :: it. Darn thing won't lay flat since I coil on a hose :: hanger. Wish I would have bought a 3/4" instead of the :: 5/8", but they didn't have it available in that size. Hose :: was claimed as "flexible" on package. It's a royal pain :: since the curls from hanging stay put, and you have to :: wind it back the way you took it off. :: :: Been looking on the net for a 3/4", 35' garden hose. What :: type of material should I be looking for? :: :: Have the usual big box stores around here, along with :: Tractor Supply. Any help appreciated.

IMO rubber is the best. It doesn't like to be run over by cars, but otherwise it's pretty flexible at normal temperatures and straightens out nicely. Whenever I need another hose now, I buy rubber, replacing all the other junk types I have as they die.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Forget about using a hose hanger, and just coil the hose in a figure-8 on the ground so the twists alternate and the hose won't kink.

Those Sears black rubber hoses are very tough and should last about forever, provided they have machined brass fittings rather than stamped steel ones.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I concur on both the Fig'8' stowage method, and the Sears black rubber lifetime guarantee hoses.

If you have the room, the Fig '8' is the only way to go, other than using reels. When you first get a new hose, first roll it out full length, being sure to remove any linear twists. Then coil it down in the Fig 8 pattern, and it will pull out cleanly and kink free anytime, and any direction you wish. This doesn't work well with cheap plastic hose, as they're too stiff, especially on cooler days.

Rubber hoses lay down nicely, and work well with both the Fig 8, and reels. However, most kink fairly easy if just coiled up in one direction either on the ground, or over hangers.

The Sears black rubber hoses rock... I'm on my fourth in the back yard. All were gardner lawnmower/hose incidents, and cheerfully replaced under the lifetime warranty. (No receipt required!) The one in my front yard is on a reel, and is at least 15 years old, and still going strong.

With any hose, rubber or otherwise, if it doesn't have machined brass fittings, avoid dropping the end with a nozzle or whatever attached. If you do, those delicate stamped sheet metal fittings crack in the bottom of the threads, and will forever after dribble all over your legs and feet. Also, don't step on, or drive over those fittings...

Machined brass replacement fittings, both male and female can be bought at most any garden center, are cheap, reusable and work extremely well. (Get the type that use screw type clamps.) However, installing them on a Sears lifetime hose will probably void the warranty... but Sears will replace dribblers anyway. Note that so far all my Sears lifetime hoses have had machined fittings, but I've heard some don't... (Some cheap plastic hoses have linear 'ribs' in their inner walls, that make fitting replacement awkward.)

Erik

Reply to
Erik

A couple of years ago I bought a 5/8 100ft. no kink hose. It doesn't kink and doesn't care how it is rewound.

The name on it is Neverkink. Made by Teknor Apex co. Not for sale in California and it has a lifetime replacement guarantee.

They may have other sizes.

HTH

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I have a few of the black rubber ones with cast fittings my mom gave me when she moved. They are at least 10 years old and they work like new. I'm not sure what brand they are. Almost any hose will give you problems if it isn't wound up properly. I use the figure 8 method on an old fashioned hose hook. Even the other cheap hoses work well when I hang them in the figure 8 method. I gave up the wind up reels long ago.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

In a word - Goodyear.

Love mine. Some must be ten years old by now. Brass fittings don't crush or wimp out. Just one tough hose. A little spendy, but projected over

10-20 years of use, worth it.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare.

Steve B

True, but you can greatly minimize the trouble with a good hose reel. I bought a Rapid Reel a few years back and it makes handling much easier than trying to coil. Cheap hose reels are worse than not having any at all.

Ed Pawlowski

Just one more for the Sears lifetime warranted rubber. They will kink if you pull them wrong, but all you have to do is to go back and kick the kink out and straighten them up and they are as good as new.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I think that is what my black rubber hoses are. The best I've ever used.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Hmm, I had one replaced a few years ago, but they grilled me about it. Well, OK, they asked me one question. They asked

HOW LONG IS THAT?

My answer? I dunno. So they called someone else over, who said that's a 75'. So they gave me a replacement.

Long version:

I bought four of the Craftsman rubber hoses over 35 years ago. Maybe

2/50', 1/75', 1/100', or something like that. Over the years most of the fittings failed and I replaced them. Replaced the washers occasionally. One got damaged a few feet from one end, so I cut it and made a short hose and a long hose -- a 4' hose can be handy. Finally, after 30+ years, one of them developed a whole string of pinholes, too much to cut off and fix. Never figured out why. That was the one I exchanged.

I never drove over them regularly, but otherwise did not take good care of them. They have been left out in the sun for years, buried under mulch for years. I have stored them in tangled piles, rolled up on reels and hangers, lying on the ground. One of them was green, and the color has faded. The black ones are just dirty. (I was in Sears the other day, and I did not see the green ones, so I don't think they sell them any more.)

They all lay flat when I first unrolled them, and they all lie flat today. When I roll them back up, I don't have to worry whether I'm rolling them the same way as before. Most of the time I can't even tell. Even in Florida, I can tell that they retain their flexibility much better in cold weather than all the newfangled ones.

They may not call them kink-free, but I have very little trouble with kinks.

I have a couple of cheap (ie disposable) hoses that the previous owner of my current house left. When I turn on the water to those and have a closed nozzle at the far end, the water runs forever stretching the hose. Into the rubber hoses, it stabilizes in a couple of seconds.

Needless to say, if I ever buy another hose, it will be the same kind or something very similar. But at my age, my need for hoses is not likely to increase. Actually I only have three of them at my house now, the other one is out in the country where we lived for many years, being used by the tenants. But as long as Sears stays in business, I don't expect to buy another hose.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid