What's the best garden hose?

I'm in the market for 2 50' garden hoses. Everything I've bought before kinks and disappoints me as far as quality goes. (even a couple of the "no kink" ones I've bought)

Can someone recommend a brand and/or model of hose that you have actually owned, and which you would say exceeds expectations?

Thanks!

Reply to
Ohioguy

Steve Peek

I have Goodyear hoses that I am very satisfied with. Things to look for: heavy, big heavy brass fixtures; not those thin cheesy brass plated ones that bend if you step on them; long guarantee; high price. I like the 50' and 100', as that is for usually substantial projects, and for the cheapie little water jobs here and there, the cheapie 25 footers for $10 work. But you'll end up spending $20 replacing the hardware over the life of the hose. So, might as well get a Goodyear 25'.

The Goodyears don't kink, either. Those little cheap ones will if folded wrong, or if they get a kink from twisting. Storage affects life, and hanging up helps a lot. Draining water out in the winter is a good thing, too. DAMHIKT.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I got 100 ft of black commercial use water hose , probably 15 years or older. It barely kinks. I think I got it from a roofer. But its so damn stiff its a pain in the ass. To roll up. There hose that will do 3000 psi, and last 100 years on a water hose. And wont kink, if that's what you want. Good luck rolling it up or moving it.

Reply to
DogDiesel

In my experience the spool matters more than the exact type of hose. For a while I went to Home Depot of Lowes and bought the heaviest model of garden host they offered. None really prevented kinks but the heavier hoses took longer.

Then I bought one of those large spools with the hand crank that stores the host rolled up and dispenses the hose when pulled. Bingo, greatly reduced kinks. So much so that I switched to focusing on how good the interconnect hardware is not on how thick the rubber hose is. Cranking the spool to reel in the hose handled the kinks. So I bought an even bigger spool. I ended up with a coupe of crank spools big enough that I could just barely pick them up. I could move them around my yard without tools or move them longer distances using a two wheel dolly.

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

've had it for at least 6 years.

It's sat outside through every winter since because it usually snows before I get around to bringing it in.

The brass fittings are still solid.

The hose is still fine.

I'm pretty sure we bought the 3/4 inch diameter version.

I'd buy another in a moment.

YMMV

phorbin

Things to look for:

Hard to beat a good rubber hose and I think impossible to kink.

I've got one of these 25' never kink drinking water safe hoses:

I /h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

on a manifold at the end of my feeder 1" rubber.

Absolutely no problems and no kinks. Very flexible and convenient, so far I love it. I'm looking for some good quick disconnects and I think adding in a 50'.

I've seen the same licensed technology on other hoses elsewhere.

Jeff

But