Atlantic Array scuppered?

Unconfirmed reports ciculating tonight suggest that the developers of the Atlantic Array, a 77 sq mile 240 wind turbine array 9 miles off the NW cost of Devon, have pulled out. SMention has been made that the government's current view of 'green' subsidies has raised questions about the financial viability of the scheme.

Apparently, it would have powered 900,000 homes. When the wind was blowing. But not too much. Or too little.

Reply to
Terry Fields

If you want a good laugh, look at this

Apparently it "proves" that drones carrying PV panels and wind turbines won't burn-up all the electricity they generate and will have some spare to beam down to the ground.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or with lots of salty water, and watch out you don't drag up the cables from a trawl net.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My idea of course was to use Nuclear to break up seawater into three constituents, hydrogen for fuel, Oxygen to offset the co2, and salt for all the frozen roads. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It boggles the mind that anyone can put this forward with a straight face. Unless they're really that stupid. I sometimes wonder if these crowdfunded things (mentions that on the front page) are just a con to extract money from people.

OTOH, Vasso is very pretty.

Reply to
Scott M

There is actually a serious attempt to circumnavigate the globe with a solar powered aircraft so it isn't quite as daft as it seems. Well actually it probably is at least that daft but hey let them have fun trying. This one is the serious attempt at solar powered flight.

Launch presently scheduled for 2015. Maybe call it Icarus?

The nicest crowd funded thing I have seen in a long time is the device to convert a mobile phone into a long wave thermal IR imager:

Still waiting to see if they deliver on their promise.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's been confirmed now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, more here:

...such as this laughable comment:

"Friends of the Earth's head of campaigns, Andrew Pendleton, said: "The government's wanton green-bashing is starting to cost jobs and threaten the future security of our energy supply.

"The UK has some of the finest offshore clean energy resources in the world and harnessing it is becoming cheaper.

"But anti-green ideology at the heart of the coalition is sending the development of world-beating clean power into reverse."

Reply to
Terry Fields

Solar powered flight round the globe, fine. Give it the same odds as Branson. It's the idea of having something floating about 24/7 without it being blown away, randomly falling out of the sky or not consuming every last jot of power to stay afloat. It's pure fantasy. One can only presume that they watched the Avengers movie or a load of Captain Scarlet.

Since CCDs see into the infra red already, I can only think that the reason for commercial units being £1k or so is that there's only a finite market for them and the chief purchasers are commercial to whom it's a drop in a bucket.

Reply to
Scott M

There is a world of difference between CCDs seeing near infrared at

800-1000nm and the thermal band infrared for ambient temperatures at 10um. About two orders of magnitude longer wavelength and requiring germanium lenses and exotic bolometer detection devices.

The technology is intrinsically expensive although the thermal imaging detectors are getting cheaper with time.

Reply to
Martin Brown

This report is amusing

Indeed she is.

But just WTF is a "Kitchen assistant" ?

Mr Michael Lee Burdett was born in 1986 and the first directorship we have on file was in 2012 at New Wave Energy UK Ltd. His most recent directorship is with New Wave Energy UK Ltd where he holds the position of "Kitchen assistant". This company has been around since 27 Mar 2012 .

Reply to
The Other Mike

Tea boy?

Reply to
John Williamson

It is pretty unusual. It is as though the writer has an impression of some of the stuff such a document should contain, without realising that what he has created is simply absurd.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

someone who helps cook the books?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I heard on the morning's news it was due to the sea bed being inappropriate. I have no idea what that means. But it would obviously affect prices and investment.

Good idea. Mows the lawns, prunes the trees, provides lighting etc., and when the technology has been developed enough can be used as wind turbines too.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer