Consumer Reports

Why does Consumer Reports does not have Hilti for tools or Speed Queen for appliences in their surveys?

Reply to
Molly Brown

Swami adjusts his turban, polishes his crystal ball, and plays clarinet, until the snake dances. Looks wistfully, at Jupiter in the western quadrant. Breathes in slowly, and says.......

"how, the hell would I know why they do what they do? Go ask them, yourself."

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's funny you mentioned Speed Queen tonight. I was reading some reports on my wife's pension plan after dinner, and her plan owns a large chunk of the parent company of Speed Queen. That's twice in about

4 hours I've heard of this company.
Reply to
Duesenberg

I did but I never got an answer.

Reply to
Molly Brown

I just went on their site and while I didn't find "Hilti" in a search, I did find two Speed Queen washers that were tested.

Reply to
SRN

Hi, I believe they are not consumer grade stuffs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It=92s not even on the list as I see it:

If they=92re not consumer grade then are they commercial grade, and if so, isn=92t that better?

Reply to
Molly Brown

Sure, but did you notice the name of the publication is CONSUMER Reports.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bob_Villa

Merriam Webster

Consumer: one that utilizes economic goods.

Molly Brown

Think consumer vs. commercial grade. Usually there is a distinction between them. And I believe commercial is always higher in price which makes most consumers go toward the consumer grade items. Of course if you are willing to pay more, I think in most (not sure if all) cases you can buy the commercial grade.

Reply to
Doug

I just bought speed queen and cost was about the same. BUT the value was HEADS above anything could get in 'consumer' grade, which appears to be a euphemism for c***.

I had a lot of respect for CR UNTIL I went to buy a VCR and purchased their magazine that reviewed a quite a few. I needed to find out which one had the least jitter in their display, because I had noticed that between the old films jumping up and down and the VCR jitter bouncing side to side, one could get really nauseous. so let's find out which one has the least jitter, best bandwidth, and lasted a long time.

First comment from CR was VCR's are pretty much all alike [NO THEY AREN'T!!] so we'll review their features...nothing about jitter, nothing about bandwidth, nothing about reliability but only about features, which is the ONE thing I didn't care about!

Next time I wanted to replace a hair dryer for wife. Just wanted to find out three things temperature of air upon exit, what is volume of air against a 1 inch head, and NOISE [give me a dBA rating, does it hurt your ears?]. Sales people are useless, because they say things like "It's 1500W with 3 settings" Even manufacturers didn't publish those three MOST important performance specs. Never found anything, so gave up ever using CR again.

Well, tried one more time to find the best TV large LCD screen, but the internet discussions were far better - and interactive, so again CR lost. Methinks CR has turned into something akin to a buggy whip, or bound paper encyclopedias.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Reply to
clare

So you contradicted yourself if you believe that is the only way the word is used. In context, commercial and industrial grades are not the same as CONSUMER grade.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Only if you believe that anyone engaged in commerce does not utilize goods.

Reply to
Molly Brown

I'm comparing it to what you have in your house.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Which house? I have more than one?

Reply to
Doug

I guess you better have a discussion with the FEDS over at the Dept of Commerce. Seems they've been issuing reports for decades on things like Consumer Spending. Which is spending by households, ie seperate from business spending, which is reported seperately

In the case in point, just looking at the Consumer Reports website it's obvious that the vast majority of what they rate is targeted at households. Some overlap, like a video recorder that could also be used by a business, sure. But I don't see why anyone would expect them to rate commercial products. With that DVD example, would you expect them to be rating video recorder eqpt that pro videographers, CBS, etc would typically use?

Reply to
trader4

If I could get a =93video recorder eqpt that pro videographers, CBS, etc would typically use=94 for about the same price as what a departme= nt store sells, especially if it was a lot more reliable, why the hell not.= =20

Reply to
recyclebinned

store sells, especially if it was a lot more reliable, why the hell not.

Well, you can't. Kinda makes your post foolish, no?

Reply to
krw