Consumer Reports: Rating Laundry Detergents

In the August 2003 edition, Consumer Reports published an updated article rating the top laundry detergents.

Top 10 Results

  1. Tide w/ Bleach (powder)
  2. Gain w/ Bleach (powder)
  3. Arm and Hammer w/ color-safe bleach (powder)
  4. Tide (powder)
  5. Wisk w/ color-safe bleach (powder)
  6. Wisk w/ color-safe bleach (liquid)
7 Tide (liquid)
  1. Tide w/ Bleach Alternative (liquid)
  2. All Stainlifter (powder)
  3. All Stainlifter Plus (liquid)

As in the past, Tide w/ Bleach is consistently the top rated laundry detergent. Though, Gain is a Consumer Reports "Quick Pick). Interestingly, the article recommends powder detergents over liquid detergents. Though Tide w/ Bleach Alternative (liquid) was once the top recommended product, Wisk w/ Color-Safe Bleach is not the top rated liquid.

Reply to
Ken

Purex liquid is still my fav.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Hey - I changed to Purex, too. It gets my clothes just as clean as Tide and it costs a whole lot less.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

I still use the home-made Fels-Naptha laundry detergent. It makes a gel which I found is great for treating stains. Costs about 10 cents for a large load. I'll post it again (or URL) if anyone is interested.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yep, I switched from All liquid when it made my son's skin break out. I've never had any skin problems from Purex, even for infant clothing.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Nan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Mine too!

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, please do. At that price I'd like to try it!

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I think I've tried most every laundry detergent on the market before, and I always keep coming back to Tide. My personal preference is the Tide w/ Bleach Alternative liquid.

Reply to
cvcgrad

I have a water softener and only use a fraction of whatever detergent - because it would be impossible to get out all the soap. I've been using Purex and have had no problems - my clothes aren't very dirty though. I use white vinegar in the rinse aid cup.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

I thought you said, "Purex liquid fills my Vista." I have a Dodge Colt, too, so I poured some Purex in the tank as a detergent additive. Now it won't run.

My sister says you know I suffer from Presumptive Dyslexia and posted that message to fool me. If you will please post an apology to the group for our misunderstanding, that will prove to her that you didn't mean it.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

Oh Lloyd, you know I lub joo ;-)

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Just curious. What were the criteria and how much was the difference in performance between brands? I'm just buy the cheapest box of no-name soap on the shelf. For a white load, I add about 1/2 cup of bleach. Everything seems to come out clean.

Reply to
Frogleg