Consumer Reports - The Snitch Chronicles

"Consumer Reports states that the British-made Hudson Reed Theme Thermostatic Shower Panel had a forceful spray that "seemed too good to be true-or legal." Environmental Protection Agency regulations limit shower head water flow to no more than 2.5 gallons per minute. Consumer Reports acknowledges that many shower fixtures get around this rule by using several shower heads, but the magazine decided to report the new single-head fixture to authorities, anyway."

HeyBub

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

One gallon a minute is plenty for me with a fine spray.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I don't get the need for pressure washer class showers. Normal shower head with a restrictor works great for us.

Reply to
George

for the safety of mankind I hope they catch you.... ;-)

We're under water restrictions....good time to snitch on my neighbor.....hahahaha

Reply to
Master Betty

RE: "Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker* "

Sounds good.

I was wondering if there are various types of flow restrictors, and what's the best way to get rid of them?

I have an old Speakman shower head at home, with NO restrictions. Anything else seems like a dribbling faucet to me.

Reply to
John Albert

Yes, I find the same thing. I think the folks who complain about the restrictors are mostly in places with poor water pressure. Since the restrictors flow is dependent on water pressure if you have lower than "standard" water pressure you are getting much less than the rated max flow. Water here runs about 70 PSI consistently, so shower heads with restrictors work fine. If you get say 50 PSI you should probably remove the restrictor or at least drill it a size larger to compensate.

Reply to
Pete C.

The whole thing is stupid. Not only is the regulation overreaching and control-freakish, I find that I take MUCH shorter showers when using non-low-flow shower heads.

Oh, and Consumer Reports has been a joke for some time now.

Reply to
mike

The Costco conection is sort of obvious or Costco is the only place to shop.

Costco Exec Member (a long time now)

Reply to
Master Betty

I get dirty when I work, a pressure washer would feel wonderful.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hell, you could get cleaner with a cat licking you.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Some just pop out, as they are a disk with a hole in them. I have a Shower Saver head that does a nice job I have no idea what the flow rate is, but the town gave them out many years ago so I'm sure it has some sort of restriction. More important than flow is the pattern.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thats why they developed the various soap products..

Reply to
George

You mean.... you don't want the government to control your shower head? Next thing, you'll say that you don't want the government controlling your toilet. Where would we be if we all had unregulated toilets?

Just imagine the founding fathers, creating a nation of great liberty and freedom. And a couple generations later, people are reporting their neighbors for having illegal shower heads, and high flow toilets. They would be rolling over in their graves with shame.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You need to get a hobby. :-)

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

As long as you've "come clean" about that I'm going to admit that back in my road warrior days I did eggsackly the same thing, carrying a fairly small shower head I'd drilled the restriction out of, along with a small pair of slip joint pliers to install it with.

I gave that up after 911, when having those things in my carrion luggage frequently caused me delays going through security.

Way back when, maybe in the seventies, I'd also carry a 75 watt light bulb cushioned inside a pair of foam rubber blocks. That was needed because lots of hotels had put 40 watt bulbs in their bedside lamps to cut their electric bill, which didn't give near enough light to read by. Now, most of the hotels I visit have switched to CF bulbs so that problem has gone away.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

They'd be much more ashamed of an over-populated land that in no way shape or form would ever have enough resources for its people to independently live as their extravagant desires would like. Face it, when the country was 1% full it was a lot different than it is now.

We could price water at its true cost in the west, but then what would we do with all the refugees?

Reply to
Chris Hill

Whenever I use lye soap on my body, I hear the little screams of critters as they die and fall off my body. The little high pitched glub glub sound they make as they are washed down the drain is particularly disturbing.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The last long trip I made was 20 years ago when I drove from San Diego to Birmingham in a non air conditioned car. Golly, I miss those days.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The country is much less than 1% full.

Assuming everybody was jammed together like at a rock concert - 4 sq ft per person - the 300,000,000 of this land would take up 1.2 billion sq ft., or about 43 square miles (about 1/8th the size of New York City).

Do you mean the Star Face Mole, the Tasmanian Tadpole, and the San Fernando Wartless Toad?

Reply to
HeyBub