Check your HVAC surge protector -- fail reports

... water leaks and potential failure.

- Supco SCM 60 and 150 (Sycom)

- 5-2-1 SPD 60 and 150 (CPS products)

-SYC 120/240 T2 (Sycom)

"...There have been reports of surge protector failures in the field. Our investigation concluded that moisture can penetrate the unit causing an electrical issue and potential failure. There is currently no government recall of the surge protectors, but as a precaution, we are removing and replacing all the surge protectors in question. There is no additional cost to our customers."

Happy landing :)

Reply to
Oren

So, I have a SCM150. It's inside, but I'll check.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I can't find other links to moisture, but I can find links to FIRE !!!! I'm disconnecting. Actually, I had an older model, lesser amps. It blew one day with a bang. The case did not shatter, but stuff came out the hole.

Thanks for posting. Some hazards on basic PROTECION....

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Reply to
clare

Reply to
gregz

Reply to
gregz

Reply to
gregz

Lightning is typically 20,000 amps. So a minimal 'whole house' protector s hould be at least 50,000 amps. No protector should fail during a direct lig htning strike or other surge. If its indicator light reports a failure, th at protector was grossly undersized. Replacement may need be larger. Each layer of protection is only defined by what a protector connects to - earth ground. A protector in the breaker box should be quite effective due to earth ground rods connected low impedance (ie less than 10 feet away) b y a hardwire (a bare copper, quarter inch copper wire).

Each layer of protection is only defined by what harmlessly absorbs hundred s of thousands of joules - earth ground. Above only discusses 'secondary' protection. Also inspect your 'primary' surge protection layer. A picture demonstrates what to inspect:

Protection is only provided by what harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousand s of joules. No protector does that. An effective protector is only a conn ecting device wired low impedance (no sharp wire bends) to earth ground. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. That is protection duri ng each surge. 50,000 amps defines protector life expectancy over many sur ges.

No protector should ever fail catastrophically like that. Either is was gr ossly undersized, not properly earthed, or a 'primary' protection layer was missing.

Reply to
westom