20 Amp Surge Protector

I just got a new microwave/convection oven. As recommended by the manufacturer (Panasonic), it is on a dedicated 20 A circuit. I want to use a surge protector but I cannot find one rated for 20 Amps. Can anyone tell me where I can find a small preferrably single surge protector that is rated for 20 A?

Regards, Patrick Harren

Reply to
news.west.earthlink.net

Your best bet if you dont already have it is a whole house protector. They work better. Try Tripp Lite for strips of 20a. But they dont carry main panel units

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Toller

According to news.west.earthlink.net :

Check the plate rating on the oven. If it's under 15A, use an ordinary

15A surge protector.

Sometimes manufacturers recommend 20A circuits for 15A devices simply to avoid voltage drops (expecially during fireup).

I would suspect tho that a microwave/convection oven will usually be pretty much immune to surges.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

If you are serious about surge protection, have one installed for the whole house.

Reply to
C G

Microwave, like computers, contain any protection that works at the appliance - installed internally. If anything in that power strip surge protector was effective, it is already inside the microwave.

Second, a power strip should have a circuit breaker. Rated at 15 amps because that microwave power plug is a 15 amp plug. 20 amp plugs are shaped differently so that they will not be plugged into the standard 15 amp outlet - that is on a

20 amp breaker circuit.

Power strip surge protectors are not just grossly overpriced. Many also forget to include that 15 amp circuit breaker. Any power strip should include that 15 amp breaker - that too many surge protector strips simply forget to include. Spend excessively on a power strip surge protector - and it does not include a 15 amp circuit breaker?

Third, all appliances have internal protection that is effective if not overwhelmed. IOW it assumes you have installed a 'whole house' protector with the all so critical 'less than 10 foot' connection to earth ground.

Earth> I just got a new microwave/convection oven. As recommended by the

Reply to
w_tom