Home Heating System

I have a forced hot air heating system. Even when the thermostat is set to Off, power to the heating element in the heater stays on, although the blower stays off. I can hear the heater clicking on and off - I assume there is some sort of emergency shut off so it doesn't get too hot if the blower is not on to remove the heat. The only way to shut the system is at the circuit breaker. Does anyone know whether the problem would be with the heater or the thermostat? I am thinking it is a faulty thermostat since it wouldn't make sense that the heater is receiving power with the thermostat in the Off position unless the thermostat were faulty.

Reply to
Tom

You should call a pro before serious damage happens, no one can see your unit to give you the correct advise.

Reply to
m Ransley

Being in the trade for over 20 years I know what you should do, you should call a heating contractor in right away! I'm VERY serious on this issue. Most fires as a result of a furnace failure does NOT occur right away, it sometimes takes hours, days or even weeks. I have seen your particular situation that over time caused the insulation to come loose and then catch on fire etc. It didn't happen right away. The homeowner said he was having problems for the last week or so before his home burned. Not a total loss but substantial.

Seriously, you have a very bad situation there and you could die from it. Its worth the over time charge for a weekend call to have it serviced.

Rich

Reply to
GeoMan

The problem is most likely in the system, not the thermostat. You don't say, is this a heat pump with aux electrical heat? The thermostat simply calls for heat, the control board in the unit turns on the element and the fan. There is a safety sensor that will turn off the element if it gets too hot. You also did not say if the unit does work correctly when the thermostat calls for heat? There is usually a relay that actually powers the heating strip. It sounds like the relay is either stuck closed or the control board in the unit is keeping it closed. This can be determined with a VOM but you do need to be familiar with electrical systems. If not I suggest you keep the breaker off and calla service tech.

Reply to
Lawrence James

Is this a full electric or a heat pump with electric backup? If its a heat pump, is it a Goodman or Janitrol by chance?

Either way, ten to one....its NOT the thermostat. Chances are you will reply its a Goodman unit and that its a heat pump. If so, its a bad fan relay, that also controls the electric strips and its bad. I keep several on the vans...not van..but VANS....as in about 6 per. It is a VERY common issue, and if not careful, sometihng that Goodman will get sued over.

What you need to do, in all seriousness, and no matter what make of unit you have, is call a pro that knows what to look for, where to look and how to repair it quickly...if not, you may find that your homeowers insurance isnt as good as you had hoped....

Reply to
CBhvac

Well, this seems to be one of those cases where replacing the thermostat won't help.

I'm guessing you have electric heat, you don't mention gas. Yes, it's time to call a repair guy, sticking contctor sounds right.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Contactor?? Bud..you need to work on electric units more.

Reply to
CBhvac

The unit is a Tappan electric heat and AC system (not a heat pump). Thanks for all the good info.

Reply to
Tom

Tappan, and Amana are practically Goodmans.....about as much trouble. Looking at the Tappan diagrams for the last few years, a few of them have the same exact sequencer as the Goodmans...definitly get it checked ASAP.

Reply to
CBhvac

DON'T encourage Chris to work on ANY thing that has to do with Electrical, Heating, Cooling...

That's just asking for trouble.

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

I take exception to this post. Chris in fact built a 3-story treehouse complete with air conditioning, elecrical, and naural gas heat up my bum this past summer, and matter of fact, Better Homes and Gradens is interested in doing a major story on it. I look pretty funny walking around town with kids riding around on a rope ladder hanging out my butt and the mailman wondering exactly where to deliver the utlity bills, but I figure that's the price one pays for success.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Now that is plain funny..

Reply to
CBhvac

And it cost me an extra $2,815.34 to have the hazmat crew haul away the moon suit I wore while working in, uh, well, "in there". Have you considered a diet change?

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn