Consumer Reports - The Snitch Chronicles

I agree with Ed....

Reply to
fftt

Talk about missing things? What I miss were the amenities on airline flight back when I started traveling that way in the late 50s.

Even in the lowest class seats you got free alcoholic drinks, free smokes, and delicious meals including shrimp cocktails, steaks and such. And, a lot more leg room too.

Course, everything has its price, and the price of airline tickets relative to the cost of living was a LOT higher back then. But, what the heck, it was my employers who were buying my tickets back then.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:37:38 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I'll bet you take all the sugar packets from the restaurant table too !

Reply to
Anonymous

On 9/3/2009 2:36 PM George spake thus:

I don't have a restrictor head, even though I should as I live in a drought-stricken area (California), but I have something that saves even more water: a shower head with a shutoff valve. Simple, cheap (I think I paid $7-8 for it at a hardware store). Besides, I need it since I've got a teeny-tiny water heater (20 gal. electric). It allows me to take normal showers without worrying about running out of hot water. Just get wet, shut the water off and apply soap. (I think these are sometimes sold under the name "Soap-up" or some such.)

These oughta be required on all showers. No need to leave all that water running while you lather up. (Same as running water while you brush your teeth: pure waste.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

(...)

Speaking of wasted water....

There's a >70 foot (23 m) run between my water heater and the master bathroom. It takes 30 seconds or so to bring the hot water up to temperature, even on a cold morning. However, I measured about a gallon and a half of water wasted down the drain, at least twice a day.

I was thinking about equipping the end of the hot water plumbing with a timed 'hot water' solenoid valve that would re-direct this 'warming' water into a tank outside, on the push of a button. Conceivably, I could fill a

55 gallon tank in 18 days or so.

I could use that for my garden or to wash my car using a solar powered pump, for example.

I live in a very temperate desert climate, so I'm not too concerned about freezing.

I heard that it was illegal to make use of 'grey water' so I certainly don't want to run afoul of the law in case this qualifies, in some way.

Your thoughts, please?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I don't see how it qualifies as gray water. Using it is far better than dumping it.

My run is considerably shorter, but aside from the shower, I don't wait for the hot water to wash my hands or similar uses, but I don't want to step into a shower not properly set.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote: (...)

That's my theory.

Nor do I.

Indeed.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 18:20:09 -0700, Winston wrote Re Re: Consumer Reports - The Snitch Chronicles:

Great idea!

Reply to
Caesar Romano

check out this system

pumps the cold water in the hot water line into the cold water line at point of use until the hot water arrives.

thus no water is wasted waiting for hot water to arrive

I think they sell them at Home Depot ~$180...easy to install

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

(...)