Connecting a new gas cooker

I'm buying a new gas cooker and Currys want to charge me £85 for connecting it up. In the past I've simply unfastened the bayonet coupling of the old cooker and coupled up the replacement. Is there any reason I can't do the same now?

There are no electrical connections involved.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

It happens that Another Dave formulated :

No reason at all, assuming it is for yourself. Gas supply only needed, is unusual - usually they need a supply from a 13 amp socket too, for things like time clocks and ignition.

The £85 will include delivery and disposal costs, rather than just 'installation'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That £85 includes the disposal of the packaging of the new cooker, it's another £15 for them to get rid of the old cooker that you could just leave outside for the pikeys to take away for free.

Reply to
ARW

Currys do seem to be full of shit.

ARW

don't forget the anti-tilt bracket ;)

as others have said, that's v odd

Reply to
Robin

In principle you can swap one for another if its fitted with a normal bayonet connector.

There is a reasonable chance it will be supplied without a hose fitted though. So you may have to source and fit a hose with the right sized connector yourself[1] (so strictly speaking that last bit is "gas work")

[1] Usually a taper 1/2" BSP fitting that will need some gas PTFE tape, and checking for soundness once installed.
Reply to
John Rumm

Pikey hi tech. A friend told me that a truck that drove slowly down our back road a week or so ago while I was oiling the gate had a cctv system on a makeshift pole on top of the cab looking over all the fences. it had come from the loacal temporary encampment of gypsies. Our guess was they were looking for anything worth nicking from gardens when everyone was asleep. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its interesting that there are no electrical connections though. Maybe its battery operated. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It won't come with a hose and they wont take the hose off the old one they are taking away and want to charge you for a new one......

Reply to
Jimbo in the near of Girvan ..

"Jimbo in the near of Girvan ..." wrote in message news:pltrlr$hke$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

which is not a bad idea having seen what a rotten hose can do to three terraced houses ....

Reply to
Honest Jim ...

I'm the OP. I put that in to prevent yet another arcane discussion of Part P ;-)

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Fair point. But I'm now left wondering if you have a gas cooker in your bathroom, sauna or pool room :) (Since the changes to Part P in 2013 kitchens aren't special locations so connecting a cooker is not notifiable, unless a new circuit is required.)

Reply to
Robin

Even when part P did apply to kitchens, connecting a cooker to an existing cooker point would not have been notifiable.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm wondering if the cooker doesn't come with the appropriate bayonet fitting and that the correct one has to be fitted to the cooker on site. After all, there are two sorts in common use.

Reply to
Fredxx

I had in mind the spurred FCU I fitted for an elderly friend whose new gas cooker replaced one which had battery ignition. And she's [now] briefed to say if anyone asks that I did it in 2014 but using cable and FCU I'd bought some years earlier ;)

Reply to
Robin

Yup, IME cookers usually come with no hose fitted or supplied at all.

Reply to
John Rumm

Many years ago Currys refused to sell a gas cooker to my father, as he was not going to use a Corgi registered fitter to install it - it would have been rather difficult to do so, as he was obtaining replacement jets for LPG from the manufacturer and installing it in France! We tried many arguments with them, but they refused to change their stance, so it was obtained elsewhere.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker