OT Printer recs

Usage : About 10 black and white prints per week.

Computer : 8 year old Dell Vostro 430. 32 bit. Win 7

Hi, I'm a very non-techy pensioner, looking for a cheap printer that's easy to install. I'd rather have a machine that connects via usb port - rather than go through the rigmarole of wireless connection. I notice that wireless connection on a number of cheap models ( HP and Cannon) comes as factory default. Is it easy to revert back to USB-connect ?? TIA.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

Supposed to be,but I just got an MG 5765 which is a fair cheap three in one and will do automatic double sided but I had to get a canon tech because I had trouble installing but he fixed it in a jiffy via remote connection with my computer.

Reply to
FMurtz

on the assumption that there is a USB socket, it's no problem at all. You simply run the install disc. You will be told when to plug it in.

Reply to
charles

No rigmarole to connect via Wi-Fi here - it did it all itself. But does have a USB port for those who don't have Wi-Fi. But didn't come with the correct cable. Beauty with Wi-Fi is it allows the printer to work with other things too easily. Which may or may not matter in your case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Frankly see if you can pick up a used laserjet for a few notes.

Even if its old and power hungry. you can leave it switched off when not in use..

Even if its parallel port, a card in yer PC is only a fiver and so is the cable.

Personally I splashed out on a color laser - a couple of hundred.

my usage is similar to yours.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I highly recommend a refurb HP1320 from one of the eBay sellers. Superb printers, toner cartridges are cheap and last forever, duplex as standard, wifi as an option (it's very easy to set up).

Reply to
nothanks

any old laser printer should do the job as long as it can print an ok testp age.

I normally say forget inkjets, more trouble than they're worth, but I have just bought one. I paid a high price at £1.95 with 6 month guarantee.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks all, I'm now a bit more confident that the wi-fi connection is fairly straightforward. LaserJet cartridges are a bit pricey .I've spotted some inkjets at £15 for 480 page coverage, which should last me a couple of years - assuming it doesn't dry up before then.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

You may regret buying an ink jet. An HP 1320 cartridge will give

2000-6000 pages for about £20 (assuming you buy a decent compatible cart from someone like stinkyink)
Reply to
nothanks

I print very little and got really fed up of ink carts drying up. Got one of these a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it.

Paid ?29.99 from Tesco delivered and it worked straight out of the box. Hmmm, they seem to have gone up in price ........

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Bertie Doe formulated the question :

With all the cleaning they have to do, inkjets become more expensive the less you use them. Unused, the dry up.

Laser toners, don't dry up, you can leave them unused for years, turn them on and they work without any self cleaning cycles - so no wastage. Great for occasional use or a high user.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mr Pounder Esquire used his keyboard to write :

Or even cheaper to get and cheaper to run, a free ex-office printer from the likes of Freegle. The more commercial is the printer, the less the consumables cost per page.

There was a rather capable all-in-one, HP colour fax/scan/laser printer ex-office on Freegle last week, free for the collection, in full working order, with by the looks of it, all cartridges at least 50% full.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Laser cartridges are pricey, but you don't need to buy them very often. Based on your 10 prints a week, a 5000-page cartridge would last you 10 years - and it will, they don't dry out or stop working before they're empty unlike inkjets.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

Mike Humphrey submitted this idea :

..and not so fussy about the paper.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have mega issues with modern printers for those with poor site it seems everyone assumes people can use a touch screen with no auditory help whatsoever! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you have several items then a network printer is often handy, but I have to say I tend to use an old printer connected to an old puter on my network then it seems pretty good and gives you something to use old hardware for as long as it has the drivers for the printer of course.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

it will dry up in a couple of weeks

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I actually did get a free Epson printer from Freegle or somewhere. It did not last for very long. I can afford not to buy used printers.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

+1, IME the modern wifi printers connect very easily. Older cabled network printers were sometimes erratic. As you suggest, USB is normally straightforward but you may end up having to run an install program on CD.
Reply to
newshound

No it won't with 10 pages a week.

Reply to