OT Printer recs

In message , Bertie Doe writes

One word of warning. When setting up wifi for a new router, I did a scan and saw an HP printer nearby with no password set. I resisted the temptation to print something scary. I mentioned this to a couple of neighbours when I met them. Both denied having a wifi printer, but some security magically appeared on it a few days later.

I did wonder whether it might have been a printer connected by usb, but with wifi enabled in some way.

Reply to
Bill

for your use level you should never need to buy a cart. Refilling lasers is fairly easy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

B/w USB laser printer (Samsung multifunction cheaper end, newish toner) going free (Sheffield) - or try your local Freecycle or Nextdoor.

Reply to
RJH

The problem with inkjets is usually the lack of usage, or periods of weeks without usage and not being switched on. This often results in ink drying in the heads. However the last epson inkjet I purchased can be left for a 3 or 4 week holiday period without being used and without problems.

With the previous epson inkjet my main problem with blocked heads occurred when a catridge ran out and I didn't replace it immediately afterwards - leaving a day or two with the dead cartridge in place.

I use compatible cartridges in my current inkjet (£17 for a set of 4 colours and which come with much more ink -

Epson tend to have non-replaceable heads while something like an HP the head is inbuilt to the cartridge so a seriously blocked head can be fixed by replacing the cartridge.

I also have a cheap Brother mono laser printer which was around £50 on offer when purchased last year. It came with a toner cartridge that is good for printing around 1,000 (text) sheets. Compatible replacement toner cartridge around £14 (manufactures original cartridge around £35)

Reply to
alan_m

Did all that but it would only print from a document, not from the print button a web page but it all works now, (Something to do with sharing) I set it up the same as I have with all my previous printers but must have made a wrong click.

Reply to
FMurtz

On 25 Aug 2018, Bertie Doe wrote (in article ):

Amazon are selling a cheap Santum b+w laser printer printer that has a copying, facility as well for £69. Cheap as they get I would think. And no expensive ink to buy after 20 copies.

pfj

Reply to
pete

Mr Pounder Esquire has brought this to us :

I have had an HP4000 with all the extras, my workhorse for 15 years without issues - I paid £15 for it. To that I added a pair of colour lasers, free for collection. When either of the latter need consumables, they can go to scrap.

Office printers cost much more to build and much more to buy, hence they are much more reliable. Yet offices turf them out, long before they are worn out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

on 26/08/2018, pete supposed :

Even the new desktop lasers are sold with low capacity toner carts. To the good, when they run out you don't have rush out to get a replacement - the head will not dry up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Bill, I relayed your story to a neighbour this morning and he popped into his garage and donated a Brother HL- 1210W laser. Quid pro quo, as I'd given him half a sack of spuds, last week. -:) He was going to donate it to the local charity shop.

I ordered a data synch usb lead this morning from Ebay. He warned against the generic carts he'd tried on this machine. £8 or so on but didn't last long. I saw the genuine HL cart at £35, so I may look at Stinkyink, mentioned by nt.at.aolbin and Alan. I'll wait till after this one runs out first. Thanks again all, for the recs.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

I have an Epson XP-415 - so likely not a current model, as a few years old. It suffers nothing like as much from ink drying out through lack of use than older inkjets I've had. And it is often unused for a week or more.

I know lasers are better in that respect, but the cheap Samsung one I had broke down not long after buying the first replacement cartridge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've got personal experience of the one being bought, have you? That crystal ball of yours is working overtime again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's anything like the cheap B&W laser I bought, came with not a lot of toner. A full cart. cost almost as much as the machine - which failed long before it was used up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)