gas cooker - install

Do I have to get a CORGI registered preson to install a new cooker in a kitchen. I "installed" our last one some 20 years ago. The supplied gas flexible feed pipe and unions.

If the cooker is 2nd hand (student question) does that cooker have to be re-tested in some way before CORGI bloke will re-connect it. thanks

Reply to
dave

Legally, you have to be "competant" for work that is not for hire or reward (ie DIY) - and GasSafe registered for that type of work otherwise.

GasSafe is the new CORGI.

Would you be able to do a leak test after fitting?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks Tim

Blimey - nothing like stability is there. IOT I wonder if those chaps have to pay to get "re-registered".

Ah - I did have a manometer... now let me see...

Reply to
dave

IIRC, you are supposed to do a leak (or drop) test both with the cokker connected (and burners off) and with the cokker disconnected (partly to verify the hose connector shuts off).

Perhaps a more knowledgeable person could comment - I have a vaugue recollection that the permitted drops vs time are different in those 2 tests.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Depends on what you mean by install... if its plug existing cooker with fitted hose into waiting bayonet socket, then most folks would argue that is fine.

If it requires changing the fixed pipework or installing the hose kit on the cooker in the first place, then you are back to the question of competence, like Tim said.

Note also there is more to fitting a cooker than just making sound gas connections. Ensuring there is adequate room ventilation to supply its air requirements and to accommodate its combustion products, and making sure it has an adequate anti tilt mechanism (e.g. bracket, or chain) fitted are also requirements of the fitter.

Reply to
John Rumm

... and know to do one beforehand too?

... and know ventilation and clearence requirements, etc?

Second-hand appliance will still require manufacturers installation instructions, and they must remain with it after fitting.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel