Installation of Gas cooker/hob

Hello,

currently re-doing the kitchen, and was going to buy a built-in gas hob, with a separate gas oven underneath. Previously, there was a free standing gas cooker with a bayonet connection. Will this cause complications for the installer does anyone know? I presume they need to run gas to both appliances, but can they just break into the one gas pipe and run the flexible hose to the cooker, and the solid pipe to the cooker? I've been trying to phone CORGI engineers all week, but yet to get a call back from one...

Reply to
Will

i do this work all the time the hob will be 'hard piped with(it is the law) a gas tap in an accessible position and the oven can be installed on a bayonet depending on the manufacturers instructions. it should take no longer than an hour and around £80 per appliance including materials and registration with corgi. then you will recieve a certificate to say the appliance has been registered from corgi a couple of weeks later.

if your in yorkshire give us a bell/email/reply to post and we will fit you in our mega busy schedule

Reply to
Gav

Surely a built in oven needs a rigid connection same as a hob? The dispensation on a free standing cooker of a flexible is for 'cleaning behind' purposes.

160 quid for an hours work? Not bad...

You must be a very rich man.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

thanks...good info...shame I'm in the South East though!

cheers!

Reply to
Will

as i said depending on MI, it is acceptible and practical to put oven on flexi as there is little room to work and the user needs to clean behind it!

Reply to
Gav

not at all , hope this helps, prices do vary and so do appliances, read the install material and you 'could' legally fit it yourself! do it by the book tho and check for leaks, best way tho is to get a corgi guy who you can trust and pay him to take the responsibility!

Reply to
Gav

This matter has been discussed at some length on previous occasions. Firstly the instruction take precedence. Built-under ovens may need to be supplied with rigid pipework which can make installation a challenge.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The message from Ed Sirett contains these words:

I guess someone somewhere thought that was a really good idea.

Wonder if they insist on making things so difficult elsewhere in the world.

Reply to
Guy King

I can't for the life of me understand how a flexible can be ok with a free standing cooker but not with a hob or built in oven.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

My hob came with a flexible - but as it happened it wasn't hard to connect it to copper.

Reply to
Guy King

Our gas hob (wickes cheapy - ~6 years ago) came with instructions saying that it was ok to connect with a flexible pipe as long as it met some gas regs (can't remember now - twas a long time back).

Dunno if the regs have changed since

Darren

Reply to
dmc

a hob doesn't / isnt designed to be taken out by the user so hard pipe, an oven 'needs' to be able to come out for acces to the hob (if fitted under hob) and for service/cleaning etc so will more likely be on a flexi. most ovens slide into the opening with very little clearance so pipes would get stuck. that is my general rule of thumb take on things

Reply to
Gav

Oh I can see why in practice, but why should it be against regs to use a flexible to a hob? Either it's safe or it's not. Many will replace a freestanding cooker with a hob and electric oven. Which (probably) means getting the gas man in, since you can't use a flexible for the hob.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It _was_ permitted to use a flexible to supply a hob. However in practice it was difficult to fulfil all the requirements. (Contact Temperature and lack of disturbance and hanging in an unstrained U etc.). The issue arose only because some people considered themselves to be competent to install a hob with a flexible but did not wish to install rigid pipe work which would involve work on the main gas installation.

Safe and dangerous don't come in absolute quantities and I agree that the use of a flexible is not a big risk.

Reply to
Ed Sirett