gas hob to copper pipe

what fittings do I need? I know how to plumb in an oven, but a hob needs solid pipework. what do i use to convert from the threaded pipe from the hob to the 15mm copper pipe? do I use an elbow and secure it to the wall or can you get free floating ones?

Steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

I know it is not recommended, but I put my hob in with a cooker flexible, that was twenty five years ago and it is still ok. After all if it is ok for a cooker, why not a hob?

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I thought it was allowed, provided that it could hang free in a U bend, connected upwards to the bayonet. As they are normally installed over ovens, this isn't practical, as they would rest on the hot top surface of the oven. I may be completely wrong, however.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Christian McArdle wrote on Wednesday (04/02/2004) :

Our gas hob/electric oven arrived fitted with a flexible pipe fitted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do you mean a free standing cooker, rather than separates?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Normally a 1/2 BSP female to 15mm compression fitting. You can get straight or elbow versions.

I'd certainly make sure the pipe was secure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It is a matching gas hob and (separate) electric cooker. It replaced a free standing gas cooker, which plugged in via a flexible. The hob arrived fitted with a flexible hose, enabling it to be plugged straight in.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Does the flexible hose hang downwards unobstructed through gravity alone and connect upwards into the bayonet connector?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

a flexable rubber hose or flexable metal one?

steve

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Reply to
R P McMurphey

Christian McArdle wrote on Wednesday (04/02/2004) :

I don't feel inclined to pull it all out to look, so from memory....

It was a rubbererised outer hose, came out horizontally from the hob and the socket was perfectly placed in the gap between the top of the oven and the underside of the hob. I took the precaution of curling the hose so that it was clear of both and in free space.

Last year I had to remove the oven to repair it and checked out the hose at the same time.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

anyone i have seen has rubber on the outside with a metal interior . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Flexible on a hob is now not OK.

Reply to
IMM

What make? Some of the Continental models think they are being fitted in Spain.

Reply to
IMM

It is one of those Scandinavian makes and I cannot even remember when or where we bought it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

This is discussed in the gas fitting FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The ultimate word is with the manufacturer's instructions: if it says a flexible is OK, then it is OK, otherwise you should not use a hose. AIUI the reasoning is that a hose is for an appliance that the user can move as with a traditional free-standing cooker whereas a hob is fixed permanently in place and the pipework should likewise be permanent. In practice I'd arrange the pipework so that there's a compression joint somewhere accessible (maybe underneath the kitchen unit) so that the hob and its section of fixed pipework can be manoeuvered(sp?) into place and conected up easily. There should be a valve to turn off the supply to the hob (if the valve has compression joints this could also be where the hob section of pipework connects, as long as the connection can be made without disturbing the compression joint on the supply side of the valve).

Reply to
John Stumbles

That's because you're stupid.

Reply to
dequeen donkeywork

Would you mind elaborating (like: who says so, in what document)?

And do the manufacturer's instructions no longer carry any weight?

Reply to
John Stumbles

In article , IMM writes

If I recall the argument correctly, what everyone else thinks of as a flexible pipe is a rigid pipe in gas fitting terms as it has a metal inner pipe?

J.

Reply to
John Rouse