Hob installation

Hi I've just ordered a gas hob to replace an electric unit which I hate. I know it has to be installed by a CORGI registered engineer, but I don't want to get stung by a yellow pages cowboy who is going to end up charging a huge amount for parts/labour. I'd be very greatful if someone either in the business or who had a hob connected recently could give me a rough guide price, as I haven't got the faintest idea what such a job would cost.

Prior to the electric hob, there was a gas cooker, so I really only need the hob to be connected to the existing gas pipe which is a few inches below the worktop. I assume that the fitter would just need to remove the cap, put a bayonet fitting on the top, and connect via a flexible hose to the hob. If I'm wrong, the correction would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

Reply to
John Bailey

No, it doesn't, but unless you are absolutely sure that you know what you're doing it will be sensible to do so.

Assuming the pipework is in safe condition, in the right place and connected to something at the supply end, this should be all that's required, along with a simple test of the integrity of the (whole) gas system.

I've no idea what it would cost though, I'd do it myself.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

Had a duel fuel unit installed earlier this year, the gas bit cost £45 for parts and labour.

Reply to
Martin

Read the Gas fitting FAQ.

This is tops a couple of hours work. Probably sub 100 quid including a few materials. Probably the supply will be rigid pipwork.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I was under the impression that while it was ok to do your own domestic installation at one time provided it was inspected by an engineer before turning the gas on, it isn't anymore. I have no experience working with gas supplies anyway, so I wouldn't even consider it.

Should be ok. The gas cooker was disconnected last year so I could get worktops lowered to make it more wheelchair friendly and an electric hob and oven installed. The gas pipe is just a few unches under the worktop where the gas hob will go, so its not going to need long pipe runs or anything. And the old gas pipe was just capped rather than completly disconnected.

Thanks for the feedback,

John

Reply to
John Bailey

Thanks.. Thats a lot better than I was expecting. I'll ring around a few places when the time comes, so its going to be very useful to have an idea what it costs

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Bailey

Hi John, Depends where you live I guess. Round here (W. Oxfordshire) I would expect to pay £50 or a bit less. You may still need an electric feed as well, if new hob has electric ignitors.

John (PS I.m not a plumber/CORGI fellow)

Reply to
John Watson

It might not be possible to use a hose if the oven is beneath. It is normal to use fixed pipework in this situation. That's not to say that the fitter won't do exactly as you describe anyway.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle