Gas isolator taps

I've just has a gas hob fitted on one flat and a gas cooker in another flat.

When I asked the fitter to point out the gas isolator taps, he said one was behind the cooker (not accessible without taking the cooker out...!) and the other was apparently a "bayonet" type of fitting which didn't require an isolator because you could unplug it yourself (also inaccessible)

I was also told that this was normal practice and within the rules governing installation.

Is a correct way to fit an appliance as I cannot isolate the appliance in an emergency?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Jinge

For a fixed gas appliance, such as a built in hob with rigid pipe work, there must be an isolator valve within easy access, i.e. it has to be clearly visible and easily reached, to fulfil current requirements.

The fitting of a flexible connector pipe to a bayonet type isolator valve is the proper way to do it and it can be installed behind a movable, free standing, appliance, so this part is correct.

If you do have an emergency with gas escapes, then don't go for a local isolator, but please head straight for the main cut off valve beside the meter.

Reply to
BigWallop

Our LPG installation has a tap immediately outside the door of the room adjacent to where the two gas appliances are (a hob and a gas boiler). Does this comply with current regulations?

Reply to
usenet

I would think so. The isolator valve sounds as if it is clearly visible and very easily accessed.

Reply to
BigWallop