Mobile 'phone in Screwfix box

I ordered a small amount of TV stuff from good old Screwfix which came yesterday.

My first suprise was a (big) extra box containing an electric tile cutter which I hadn't ordered. I told Screwfix , they're collecting later and kindly let me have 10 quid for my trouble. But my biggest suprise was yet to come...

I opened the box with the TV bits and bobs to find a shiny 3G mobile phone looking me in the eye. It was over the inner divider bit, not amongst the bought stuff. It looks new and is a currently available model, value over £300, though unboxed with no charger. You would think it probably came from the Screwfix warehouse however there was a hole in the box big enough for it to have got in (somehow) in transit. I told Screwfix, after some deliberation they rang back and suggested that, because they have no way of tracking it, that I deal with it 'at my discretion'.

I looked up instructions on the net but so far haven't been able to get into it to see if it has an owner or even a SIMM card or whatever (it does look new), it might be dead or locked (it only illuminates briefly when you hit the 'photo button). I don't know if anyone like a phone shop would be able to crack it open.

Any ideas what I should do?. At the moment I'm thinking of dropping into my local constabulary for advice. I could just send it back to Screwfix but then maybe I wouldn't get to keep it if there is no traceable owner.

Thanks, Egremont.

Reply to
Egremont

Don't bother giving it to your local cop shop.

It could have fallen out of the pocket of a screwfix warehouse person or was in another parcel which came open. If it isn't new and someone has reported it missing then it will be barred anyway. Otherwise you may as well use it or sell it.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

The SIM will have a serial number on it and possibly a logo. COntact the network and tell em. They will find the owner.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

You have discharged your first requirement by contacting Screwfix. You could check with the carriers similarly. I'd say the next step is to see if it works and you can identify a number/owner.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Try to talk to the packing department direct. It probably fell out of someone's breast pocket!

Could have been worse... something falling out of a breast pocket once put a nuclear power station out of action for several weeks.

Reply to
Ian White

Hole in box? Hmmm! delivery personell, I'd keep it. Some are known to poke around in parcels.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That last thing you want to do is actually use it. A 3G mobile will burn a hole in your wallet a lot faster than home improvements using Screwfix stuff.

bland

Reply to
bland

Don't know if I'm alone but nearly every parcel I get from Screwfix has extra things in it! - on most occasions the box arrives damaged (i.e. opened) in transit.

Reply to
Will Hay

Several of us at work had repeated problems with CPC packages falling to bits in transit, and arriving with small items having fallen out, or the whole thing being returned by the courier to CPC before even being delivered due to inadiquate packing. However, my last few orders have been OK, so maybe they've done something about it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Give it to Blue Peter to help thier current appeal - will help Childline

Reply to
Rob Convery

The phone will have an IMEI number. This uniquely identifies the handset, and allows UK operators to refuse network access to the phone should the owner report it stolen. The SIM inside will also have a number on it, again, a unique number. The SIM should also have a network operator logo on it, which should let you know which network to contact.

If there is no SIM inside the phone, then that sounds very suspicious. A phone falling out someone's pocket would have a SIM in it - a phone which doesn't sounds like it's been placed there for some reason (trying to get rid of stolen goods???). Without the charger etc, it's a bit of a useless item.

I would do the following:

1.) Locate SIM and contact network operator informing them of the SIM number. This will allow them to find the account holder for the SIM/phone. 2.) If no SIM, then contact the police informing them of the situation and the IMEI. As with most items handed in to the police, you should be able to keep it if no-one collects it after a while.

If you try to sell on the phone without doing these, you run the risk of it being barred by the original owner and then the purchaser coming back to you.

Do the right thing - if this was your phone that someone found, it would be nice if they did a few simple things to try and return it to you. See

David Hearn

Not really, chargers cost next to nothing. And even barred phones are worth good money because the barring is not international.

Problem is that many times it gets you nowhere. I've come across policemen who didn't care and companies and their staff who just couldn't be bothered when you try to do the 'right thing'.

The only real chance is to try and contact the original owner by looking at saved phone numbers - that's if the phone isn't brand new.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Sounds like the couriers are playing rugby with your parcels :)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

If its a common model, finding a charger and charging it shouldn't be too difficult. Then check the phonebook for an entry 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency), Home, Work or similar.

If you find any of these, give on of them a call !

M.

Reply to
m__murray

Sounds like Omega/securicor !