AC replacement part and or power strip

Hi, about three years ago I bought a Maytag M3T12F2A window air conditioner, 12,000 BTU - a standard unit for a 115 volt wall outlet. (I live in an apartment, not a house.) The rotary on/off high/low dial broke off, which is plastic. As a result, I can't adjust the unit or even turn it on or off. Fortunately the unit was on low cool mode at the time of the dial breaking off, so as long as it's plugged in it operates. I have attempted to locate a replacement part for this unit, but I can't. It's possible this is because I bought it at BJ's and this model was possibly made in limited quanties for BJ's. I checked the Maytag and Fedders websites but there's no option for replacement parts and I checked a few parts replacement websites and this model isn't listed.

If need be, I can live with the situation as is providing that I can find a proper power strip to use for on/off with surge protection.

Assuming that I won't be able to find a replacement dial (I still have the original plastic dial but the part that adheres to the metal piece in the unit that actually does the turning is broken off) can you recommend a proper and safe power strip to use to turn the unit on and off?

Thanks in advance. Jeff

for personal replies, remove PESTSTRIP.

Reply to
Jeff

Have you tried calling Maytag?

Reply to
Art

That's what visegrips/pliers are for :-) Don't use a power strip. Take the knob along with you to a local appliance parts supplier or a used appliance dealer/bone yard......you'll find something that works.

Reply to
volts500

According to Art :

Or a local appliance repair outlet?

These things are pretty standard/universal.

If you _had_ to put on an external switch, you really need to buy a horsepower rated switch. ACs have nasty start surges, and power bars aren't designed to be used as power switches for such things.

You could build one out of a chunk of SJ appliance cord, a plug and receptacle, a plastic box, and a HP-rated switch for < $20.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Forget the plug strip. Get a pair of needle nosed vise grips and install on the stud. I had one when I was in college. The landlord would not get it fixed so I fixed it and took the vicegrips when I left.

Reply to
SQLit

Thanks for your responses. So you're suggesting that i use, in effect, a pliar to turn the stud? It's actually plastic, not metal. My concern with that is the fragility of the stud and the pressure of the pliar, but it makes sense if dealt with carefully.

for personal replies, remove PESTSTRIP.

Reply to
Jeff

The company at the following link should be able to get replacement parts for it but you'll have to contact them with the model number as it isn't listed in their on-line catalog.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Maytag has nothing to do with "Maytag" *air conditioners* (as stupid as that is). If anyone calls Maytag about them Maytag just gives them Fedders number and tells the consumer to call them.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

thanks alot

for personal replies, remove PESTSTRIP.

Reply to
Jeff

If you can't find the right part, I don't suggest a standard powerstrip as most don't have switches that will hold up to that kind of power switching. You should be able to get a heavy duty switch/outlet to replace the outlet you now have.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi,

1) Great name!

2) May want to double check that model#....are you taking off of the model/serial tag on the unit?

3) You broke the switch shaft or the knob?

4) If you access the switch ( if that is what is borken ) there -may- be a part# printed right on the part that you can check for.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thanks, I've had it for years.

Yeah, right off the side of the unit, the sticker. I further verified via Google, there's only two instances of that model but it's the model number.

The rotary dial - the knob - broke off the shaft when I turned it with more than very slight force. I notice that a piece of the plastic shaft is broken off as well.

Right, well there's no part # on the knob, if i open the unit up I could access the shaft from inside and perhaps there is a model number..... But this seems like an exercise in futility unless the same parts were used for more common Maytag models.

for personal replies, remove PESTSTRIP.

Reply to
Jeff

Hi,

Fedders ( maker of the Maytag a/c ) often had part#'s printed on the electrical parts....even if this part was only used for this model a part# is better than nothing can can easily be researched, esp by parts depots :)

sisn't come up on the on-line check....probably need to call them.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff