Self-Cleaning Oven Power Needs

I am getting ready to purchase a gas oven that is self-cleaning for my

1960's era house. The specs say I need a 15amp circuit for the self-cleaning.

There is power to the current unit because it has a light and a clock

What was the typical rating of the wiring done back then, and how can I tell the amperage?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Perry Aynum

15 Amp circuits have been the minimum "standard" house wiring for some time with 20 amp circuits for the kitchen in newer homes. Wire size needs to be #14 AWG minimum for a 15 amp circuit.
Reply to
George

That is a minimum standard outlet used for the past 60+ years. Since it is a kitchen outlet, it may even be 20A. Take a look at the circuit breaker and it should be 15A or 20A. . In fact, there should be nothing less than

15A in the breaker box.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Gas stoves usually do not use a lot of amps anyway. In fact the only things that need electric is the clock and the electronic ignition for the stove and oven, which don't use a lot of amps to begin with.

Reply to
Mike rock

And probably a solenoid mechanism to lock the door during cleaning cycle.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks. I know I have 14 AWG vs the 12AWG i.e. I've got the thinner stuff.

Thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
Perry Aynum