Cans of "stump remover"

I have a stump that will need to be removed next spring. For years, I have seen these cans of stump remover in the hardware stores. I have always assumed, and still do, that they are a complete and total crock. Does anyone have experience here.

Thank you.

Winter

Reply to
Winter

J.Caldwell

Years ago people would drill 1" holes in the stump and fill them with "saltpeter" (sodium nitrate). After several months a fire built over the stump would burn it out. I've never done it myself so I can't vouch for the technique.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

My neighbor did that about 2 weeks after we moved here. The stump burned out in about 24 hours. Also, the root system must have been quite extensive as he had little fires break out in the yard for 2 or 3 days afterwards. The fire followed the roots down and where the root came close to the surface, it would get hot enough that the ground, in some cases 15 feet away, would start smoldering. He finally got it put out by soaking the entire area for an hour. Pretty cool actually. [:^)

Reply to
GFRfan