Painting inside of microwave with radiator paint

The base of my microwave where the wheels run around has corroded and the paint has flaked off in the track. I was going to paint it with radiator paint - okay so I happen to have some radiator paint.

Any danger?

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:14:21 GMT, "Rob Nicholson" strung together this:

Not to me.

Reply to
Lurch

Think this has been discussed before ;) I'd be wary that the solvents in the paint might contaminate or taint food. There is a "proper" microwave cavity paint available...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

radiator

Youd need to make sure the rust is removed and hasnt gone through, or gone deep enough that what metal remains is no longer good and strong.

With commercial kit, any such rusting constitutes a safety failure, even when it does not cause leakage, because it is hard to know when leakage might occur.

I wouldnt do it unless you know what youre doing, and are able to competently determine that its safe.

Any paint would need to survive boiling point, and be based on a rapidly evaporating solvent so that no solvent remains when the oven is first used. And of course the oven would need to be well ventilated for a few days to ensure no solvent remaining.

I'm not recommending doing any of this, as if you goof up there could be some risk.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Generally, the paint just flakes off with little damage to the metal. If it's painted quickly then rust shouldn't be a problem.

I have never understood why manufacturers don't place a plastic 'track' under the wheels of the turntable.

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

In message , s--p--o--n--i--x writes

A small matter of money I guess, margins are probably tight on this sort of product.

We had the same problem, I did paint it, but it did it again after while.

I replaced it with one with a stainless steel interior - which have got much cheaper now. Panasonic - recommended.

Reply to
chris French

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:27:13 +0000, chris French strung together this:

Panasonic - not recommended unless they've stopped using those awful inverters.

Reply to
Lurch

Was thinking of getting one sometime, why are they awful?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I'll give it a go - it is mainly the paint that has flaked off - the metal appears to be sound.

Here comes paint flavoured soup...

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:41:09 +0000, Pete C strung together this:

They tried to be a bit too clever a while back and started using inverters instead of magnetrons but they weren't all that reliable. I'm not sure what they're using now, I know they're still on with the inverters but I'm not sure whether they've improved them any.

Reply to
Lurch

Not sure if this is relevant or not but when I used proper radiator paint on a bathroom radiator where towels were often hung, it started to bubble and flake off in a few months.

It appeared not to like the moisture (since similar radiators in the lounge were fine) so, given that the microwave is likely to get steamy, you might find you have the same problem,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Uh? What is the RF power generator if it's not a magnetron? Or are you referring to the way the HT supply for the magnetron is derived? - some flavour of switch-mode supply instead of the usual 50 Hz HT transformer perhaps?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Best wedding present we had was a Panasonic combi oven/grill/microwave. Microwave has seen daily use for 13 years and shows no sign of failing. Never used the grill or microwave and it was quite expensive at the time. I would certainly consider buying another when the time comes. MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:01:46 +0000, Andy Wade strung together this:

It's some combination of the above two posts. I should add that my mates the one who knows about this, and he's not here. I know I wouldn't have one, some people might get on OK with them, but it's a chance you take.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks for the replies, on a related note anyone know what the quartz grills are like compared to other types?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

the radiator paint I used (after letting it dry for 24-hours) is working great! Not heating up or anything like that. My microwave was rusting in the corners and a couple of other places; I gouged out the rust with a hardened screwdriver and a green scourer with some jiff, I painted on a couple of coats and it's worked very well. Total cost £4.25!

Reply to
dave

Yes, but its not something I'd want to try, I'd imagine it could smell for a while and put you off your food, also not all radiator paint is the same. I wonder what the original paint is? Stove enamel? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If your microwave is not lined with stainless steel (and maybe regardlessly), always leave the door ajar for a few minutes to allow the steam and condensation to ventilate out.

Make a habit of wiping the inside after every serious usage.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I do that every time it's used, although it is stainless steel.

Reply to
jon

I don?t do anything like that and use it almost every day, usually with steam being produced and have done that for 50 years now. And its not stainless steel either.

Reply to
Fred